Three

Chipped brown paint with white streaks down the middle that screamed old stared back at me from the backdoor that hung for dear life. The door leaned to the side, nearly off its hinges, cracked wide enough for anyone to enter. Scraps from inside from the brass knob scattered over the concrete step. Well, this was surely making me think twice about entering the lake house.

I lifted my phone and switched on the flashlight option. It shined through the backdoor leading to the inside of an old rusty kitchen. The stench of damp leaves along with the smell of mold infiltrated my nose when I walked further in, making me really wish it hadn't. Because now, I couldn't rid the unwanted smell from my mouth.

"Loftman, I can't see!" My body tensed as the surface of my phone almost hit the floor. If not for my quick reflexes I was sure it'd hit the wood with just enough impact to crack.

"Shh, Patty! Keep it down! There's a reason I have my volume on low. Yet your yelling is making my phone sound like a surround sound." I scowled.

Patty muttered a sorry as a pout found its way on her face. "But really, I can't see anything! It's dark and you have the camera facing the ceiling." I groaned, then sighed.

Our lives would have been ten times easier if she were here physically. But according to her parents, studies call. She studied during the school year, and even during the summer. It baffled me to no extent. Her AP classes required assignments to be done over the summer break too. We assumed this was the universe's way of telling her she was never going to catch a break.

"Okay, I'll make sure you can see. But could you please keep it down? You're going to make it obvious that I'm here." She sent me a sheepish smile and nodded.

Bad enough, my clothes were stained with the smell of musk from fighting my way through the trees in the woods. I didn't want to have to run through the trees this time to escape, earning myself a stronger smell. I wouldn't have snuck through the trees in the first place if it weren't the only way to avoid the front of the lake house.

Being that this crime scene could possibly remain closed-off anywhere between one to seventy-two-hours, according to Christian, I wasn't sure if the police cars were still occupying the open end of the lake. But it wasn't a risk I was willing to take. After all, Christian wouldn't be there to save my ass. I made sure to wrap plastic around my shoes so as not to contaminate the crime scene. There needed to be no traces of me here. That was the goal.

Ever since I grew comfortable enough to share my gift with Christian, I surprised myself more and more everyday. What I once tried to avoid; I was now actively seeking. Of course, Mr. Jefferson played a major part in this role. Even then, it still amazed me.

Don't be afraid. I made that mistake once and it cost me. If you're afraid of the gift, you'll never find out what it truly means. You need to use it to your advantage.

Those were the words he told me when I first started confiding in him for advice. It was just a few months ago but I remembered it like it was yesterday. It had been the first week of our discussions. I had finally conjured up the courage to go talk to him.

He was standing in the diner, just like the first time I'd met him, tuning the radio to his satisfaction—his eyes focused, and mouth parted slightly. It was evident he was in the zone. He didn't seem the slightest bit surprised when I approached him. He only smiled and said take a seat, as if my presence was to be expected. Ever since then, he'd been helping me all the time.

"Earth to Tyler. Are you there?" The ringing of Patty's voice brought me out of my trance. I glanced down at the phone screen to which Patty's face was hovering over.