Chapter 10: Behind

I looked left and right as I exited my room. Haile was fast asleep in the room next to me. Sneaking past her through the corridor, I reached the outside of the building. I went around the back to the shoreline. I carefully watched my surroundings, not wanting to get caught. Sneaking out may have not been the best idea, but I couldn't sleep. I wanted to be close to the sea.

Carefully sitting on the rough ground, I stared off into the horizon. The moon reflected beautifully on the ocean beneath it. It was breathtaking. The stars glittered across the sky, making the water sparkle. The moon calmed the water, and the slow movements of the water comforted me.

I stayed there, letting myself relax for a long while. After some time, I noticed something black in the distance.

Maybe a trick of the light?

When I leaned forward to get a better look, I made out a face.

Malek?

I stood up quickly in concern. He shouldn't be anywhere near here. If he is caught by any League members he will surely be killed.

My investigation was interrupted by a loud banging from behind me. The tin of the dorm building rattled in response. I could faintly hear a voice beckoning for everyone to wake up.

I started to sneak back up to the dorm building, looking back once to see if Malek was there.

Gone. I determined. Was he even there in the first place?

I slowly walked around one side of the building, close to the wall, until I made it back inside. Haile caught me on my way back to my room, distraught.

"Where have you been? I have been worried sick you know!" She berated me.

"Sorry, I couldn't sleep. I snuck out for a bit to kill time."

"What? Kels, if you were caught, who knows how much trouble you would have been in?"

"I know, I know. I am sorry, Haile." I felt a smile creep upon my lips.

She reminded me of my mother, always worrying too much. It was endearing. I gave her a big hug before turning to leave. Grabbing me at the wrist, she tugs me back.

"Not so fast, what was that about?" She looked at me, bewildered.

"I am just really happy to have you here with me. My sanity may not have been so well maintained if you weren't here."

Her eyes widened slightly, before melting into joy. "Keep saying things like that and my ego is going to be terrible." She teased. "You don't need to thank me for being your friend, Kelsey, or for being kind to you. You deserve that, please remember that. Now go get dressed, we don't want Shane to come in and pull us out by the ear." She spoke through a giggle.

Mulling over her words, I saunder into my room.

I am not used to this.

The only friend I have ever had was Finnick. No one else cared. Everyone else thought I was weak. At times, I thought maybe people never wanted to get close because they thought I would fade away. Why get to know someone you think won't make it?

Haile is the first person since Finn to show me this unearned kindness.

After completing my routine I met everyone outside. I watched Shane walk up upon my exit from the building.

"Hello, everyone. Good to see everyone still in one piece. Let's not have any childishness today." He spoke, glaring at Damian as he finished. "Today we will be putting you guys in the water. I will explain more there." With Shane's last statement, he walked off expecting us to follow.