CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

A myriad of knights in golden armor enclosed our Manor. Bringing forth a forgotten memory that turned my body and the blood running through my veins to cold ice.

"By the order of the king: this household is to be apprehended due to accusations of treason. Surrender now, or we will take forceful actions against you." The royal envoy announced from the front yard. Treason?

"Madam, I- What's going on?" Brigitte's trembling voice asked from behind me.

"I don't know, Brigitte." The sudden sound of the door bursting open made me jump.

"Madam!" A very distraught Benjamin rushed to my side and grabbed me by the wrist. "We need to get you out of here."

My numb feet moved with the force of Benjamin's pull. "What's going on, Benjamin? Why are they saying we have committed treason?"

"I don't know. But you can't stay here to find out." He pulled me up the stairs and dragged me into a room. "Annie, Brigitte. I need one of you to switch clothes with the madam."

The odd request broke me out of my daze. "What are you planning, Benjamin?"

Rushing to look out the window, he answered, "We are going to pass one of them off as you."

Annie's voice came from the door frame, "I'm sorry, Mr. Benjamin. This sounds like a good plan and all, but you're not taking something into account." She grabbed my wrist, and lifting it up in the air, Annie pointed out, "We're two different shades. They'll be able to see that I'm not her from a mile away."

"What if you wear gloves and a scarf? And maybe a hat too." Brigitte suggested.

"What duchess would wear gloves, a scarf, and a hat in the middle of summer inside her house?"

"I doubt they will have the time and leisure to judge your fashion choices when they're all pumped up on adrenaline trying to catch a traitor to the crown." Brigitte retorted with voice full of sarcasm.

"You know what? I think you're right. I-"

"Woah, Woah. Wait." I interupted. "I'm not putting anyone in danger to save myself."

"Madam, please let us do this. Let us help you." Annie begged.

"No. I'm sure this is a misunderstanding. I'll walk out and let the knights take me to the capital. I'm sure the king will clear this up." I turned towards the door but was turned back around by Benjamin's hands on my shoulders.

"It's not a misunderstanding. The king himself gave the order to capture the household. The king himself declared Iskander a traitor."

"W-What? H-How can that be? How do you know?"

"Tommy's father got the news last night, and a stable hand told me not so long ago."

"But that's impossible! Zander is loyal to the king. He's out on a mission right now, for gods sake!"

"I know. That's why you have to escape. If you go, they can pass a judgment and execute us all. But without you or Iskander—the heads of the household. They can't give a judgment, and I'm sure the high priest will uphold this in court. It will buy us some time until Iskander finds a way to prove his innocence."

My teeth dug into my lower lip. Iskander has not been detained? Should I run as well? No. I can't abandon them. But... What if Benjamin's right?

"Please, madam." The maids urged.

"Alright." At my answer, Brigitte and Annie ushered Benjamin out of the room so we could change.

"There. How do I look?" Asked Annie, donning the ridiculous outfit.