17

"Can I have a look at Uranus too, Lavender?"—————————

—————————

"So... would one call this breakfast meeting a date?" Hermione heckled me with a mocking grin while the two of us skipped through the halls in our school uniforms. Our books were tucked away in our tote bags, and I couldn't help but giggle this morning when Hermione hardly fixed her wild curls as I went through the entire nine yards of applying my makeup and curling every piece of my hair with a spell I forced my father to teach me before we returned to the castle for the term and I would be without electricity to use my curling iron...

"Oh, that damage has already been done." I laughed and explained further while she pulled her hair into a low ponytail. "Harry had just so happened to mention his infatuation with Cho to me last night... as the annoying git was laying on me in our common room... so I may have let it slip that I thought of this as a date." I said innocently— a rather devious smile appearing on my face that could be described as anything, but innocent. Hermione slapped my shoulder lightly out of disapproval, and I furrowed my brows while I rubbed the spot tenderly. "What?"

"Do not try to use Cormac just so you can get back at Harry, Ruby! I thought you would want to talk to him for the right reasons... or forget Cormac— any guy for that matter!" She scolded me with crossed arms, and I rolled my eyes and sighed at how over dramatic she had sounded about this entire situation. I knew what I was doing, and trying to get back at Harry was far from my real intentions.

"It is for the right reasons. I genuinely think he's a cute guy... and I have told you multiple times now that I want to move on— especially if Harry is going to." I said quietly while we followed behind a few students and walked into the buzzing Great Hall for breakfast. "Will you sit with me? If this goes poorly, I'm going to need someone to swoop in to my rescue, and I prefer that it wasn't Harry swooping in between us for a second time." I said shakily while I gripped the strap to my bag a little tighter. Fuck, I don't remember the last time I tried flirting with a boy. Had I ever really done it? Harry surely doesn't count...

"Why so nervous?" She nudged my shoulder playfully. I looked at her sideways, and there was no point in trying to prove her wrong. She could ready my face like one of her textbooks. "You act like you aren't the most well-liked girl in our grade level. Don't you remember all the Valentine's you received this year? I believe he was one of them... if I recall the 17 of them correctly. If he didn't like you he wouldn't have agreed to eat with you this morning." Hermione chuckled. I ignored her as the boy's kind eyes flickered towards me, and I pulled out my warmest grin while I finally approached him.

Just work your charm. Just like Harry does.

"Hi, Cormac." I said softly, and his eyes left the boy's seated next to him and found mine while I took a seat. He looked like someone had put him under a spell as his eyes were far off, and it wasn't until I cleared my throat and he shook his head that he finally gave me a proper response.