08

"Ms. Hansel, I hope you are doing well."

I greet as I enter the small shop. The entrance bell and my voice bring the wonderful old lady out of the backroom, as she greets me with a hug.

Reaching into my basket, I trade her a jar full of different flavoured tea for a few coins.

"I'm doing well as always. How are you doing my dear?"

"The same as always."

I respond with a small smile.

"I heard the King is doing well, and as the proverb states, a kingdom only prospers when the leader rises."

My breaths hitch at the mention of the King, a very familiar king.

"I'm glad, as everyone else is too. I should head out. See you soon."

I say before waving goodbye to her. She nods her head with a smile and I walk through the town tavern. I wanted to treat myself to a delicacy, preferably fruit cake, as it lasts quite long and is one o the tastiest desserts at this time.

Walking into the dessert cart I order my cake. I felt someone bump into my leg and turned to see a blond-haired boy, probably around the age of five or six, no more.

"Sorry, ma'am."

He states, his cheeks flaming up from both running around breathlessly and embarrassment. He fell to the floor from the impact, but quickly got himself up on his short legs.

"No problem. I hope you didn't hurt yourself."

"Nope, I'm fine."

"Triston, how many times have I told you to not run away like that."

A woman scolds gently as she bent down to the child's height. She was beautiful with her jet-black hair and brown eyes, which stood in contrast to her pale skin. She stands back up and looks at me before giving a soft smile.

Both the mother and the son looked so familiar, yet they shared no features of each other. I wasn't sure if I met them before, but felt too introverted to inquire.
"Apologies about my son."

"No problem. Nothing wrong with being a child and having fun."

I smile back at her kindness.

"Tristan, did you apologies to the lady?"

"Maa, of course, I did."

He grumbled under his breath and I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips.

"Amaris!"

I heard a familiar voice, as heavy footsteps approached us. I turn my head back at the vendor, who was still in the shop, preparing the cake.

"Rheya?"

My head snapped back at the oddly familiar voice and came face-to-face with a blond-haired man.

"Max, hi."

I said, surprised. The tall man was carrying a little girl with brown hair in his arms; her head resting on his shoulder, as she is in deep sleep. I connected the dots and realized this young boy and woman was Max's wife and son.

Everything clicked at that moment. Tristan obviously looked familiar as he was an identical twin of his father and Amaris was Adri's sister from what I remember Max stating.

Amaris' head whipped between Max and me before she embraced me in a sudden hug.

"Thank you so much for saving my brother's life."

She said as her eyes teared up. I give her a reassuring smile, unaware of how to console her for her tears. Luckily, Max came in a wrapped an arm around his wife, as she gathered herself.

"I apologize. Adrianus and I've always been close, especially after the demise of our parents. Plus, carrying a child doesn't help with these emotional outbursts."

She said chuckling while wiping the last bits of her tears.

"Oh, congratulation is in order then."
"Thank you."

Another voice interrupts this moment as my body shifts towards the vendor. He looked at the family behind me before bowing his head in what I can only assume is a sign of respect.

"Here's your fruit cake. It will be 2 pennies."

I handed him two bronze coins, before collecting the delicacy.

"I should head back home, It was great to meet you Amaris and Tristan and you again Max."

I said smiling. My back turned, but my steps seized when I heard Max speak.

"Do you not want to know about Adri's wellbeing?"

"I've heard all over the kingdom that he has recovered and is as well as before. I'm glad and please send him my greetings."

I said politely and with my tone not giving anything away.

A few days after my guests have departed their homes, I came to the conclusion that I must have been exhausted from staying up all night and imagined what I've felt. There's that or that I have given too much of my oxygen to Adrianus and lost my sanity for a few hours and attached unnecessary meanings to our conversation

"The rumours you've heard are accurate. He is doing much better, thanks to your help. I'll inform him of your greeting. Until next time."

Max stated as Amaris smiled politely. Tristan began running again as Amris sighed. I watched the happy family and at that moment I wished to return to my old life in my own time or to have been born in this time.

What I experienced was a miracle, yet it felt like a curse. My mind was trapped in the future, yet my body was trapped in the past. I was haunted by the futuristic coast that I experienced, not allowing myself to enjoy the future that I might experience in this ancient time.

I was too much of a coward to go back to the future, as to how I was transported to the past. Afraid of how the future might have changed if my existence was erased or worse; my family forgot about me.

It was at this moment, in the middle of a mid-century tavern with a bag of fruit cake in my hand, that I realized I wanted to let go of the past and live the present. If I can't return to where I was from, then I'll learn to embrace the place where I now live.