Happy birthday

14 years ago

14 years ago

I'm running around the yard with Charles and April while the sun is rising.

Mommy walks out from the house and sees us running in the field.

She walks over, Davina in her arms, a playful glare on her face.

"You three know you're not allowed to be out here this early." She scolds, but her smile betrays her.

"Come on!" Charles shouts while April says "we were just playing!" And I say "it was my idea!" We defend, even though we're not in trouble.

She laughs and sets Davina down before putting her hands out and making a monster noise.

We all screech and run away from her, trying not to fall from laughing.

She picks me up and throws me in the air before tickling me and attacking me with kisses.

I giggle the whole time and once she's done she hugs me tightly.

"I love you, sweet girl." She tells me before setting me down.

"I love you too mommy!" I shout before running off to play with Charles and April.

Mommy asks Charles to take Davina while she goes to help daddy take care of all the animals.

"Happy birthday A!" She calls while she's still in earshot.

I run over to my siblings as Charles starts climbing a tree.

"Charles, you're gonna fall and die and I'm gonna laugh." April calls up to our brother.

Davina gasps and points at her. "April said not nice things, she's gonna be in trouble."

"Not if you don't tattle." April fires back.

They get into a fight and I frown, sad they're fighting.

Charles jumps down and hugs me. "Guys, stop fighting. It's A's birthday, let's just have fun." He says.

They nod and apologize before we run off, finding other stuff to do.

Penelope's pov

"I'm trying my best here, Daniel." I tell my husband, still hearing our kids laughter from inside the barn.

"I know, Pen, I'm sorry. I'm just worried. What if she finds her?" He asks, throwing a ball of hey into a stall.