Chapter 46

Aria POV

To say that I was nervous would be an understatement.

I was shaking from top to bottom.

I didn’t know why I was so nervous. My uncle and my cousins were nice. They were funny. They liked me, and I liked them. There was nothing to be scared of.

But I was.

I was so scared.

I was holding onto Gabriel’s hand, afraid to move an inch.

I had an urge to hide behind him. I had an urge to go to my room, cover myself with a blanket, and pretend that I wasn’t home.

I couldn’t understand why. I wanted them to come. I wanted to meet them.

Why was I nervous?

Was it because they could touch me now that we would meet in person? I knew that they wanted to hug me, but I honestly didn’t want them to. I wasn’t comfortable yet. But would they get angry if I refused to hug them?

“Gabriel.” I called my brother softly, keeping my eyes glued to the front door.

They were coming any second now. They pulled up a few minutes ago, and dad went out to greet them.

“Yes?” he said, running his fingers through my hair.

“Would they get angry if I didn’t want to hug them?” I asked quietly.

“No.” Gabriel said. “If you are not comfortable, you don’t have to hug them. I won’t let them near you, okay?”

I nodded, relaxing slightly.

Gabriel wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. He kissed the top of my head, and I relaxed even more.

Everything would be okay.

My brother was here. My dad was here. My cousins and my uncle liked me. I would be okay.

I watched as the front door opened. I leaned more into Gabriel and took a deep breath.

My uncle stepped inside first. His eyes roamed around until he looked at me.

“Oh, my God.” he cried out, walking toward Gabriel and me. “Hi, honey. It is so wonderful to finally meet you in person.”

He kneeled in front of me and took my hand in his.

Gabriel’s arms around me tightened.

“You look so much like your mom, honey.” my uncle said softly as a tear fell on his cheek.

I smiled at him, and he stood up, still holding my hand tightly in his.

“Stop hogging my favorite cousin.” I heard Luke’s voice behind my uncle.

My uncle sighed and rolled his eyes. He stepped aside and let my hand go.

“Hi, shortie!” Luke exclaimed, grinning widely. “You are even shorter than I expected.”

He placed a hand on the top of my head and measured me against himself. I barely reached his chest.

“I think she needs sun and water.” Luke said, turning around and looking at my dad.

I chuckled, shaking my head.

“She is not a plant, Lucas.” Gabriel sighed, making Luke turn back toward us.

“Don’t worry, shortie.” Luke said, bending down to my height. “I will provide you with all the sun and water you need.”

“Deal.” I said, chuckling.

Luke smiled and winked at me, standing back up.

I looked behind Luke at Andrew, who was standing by the front door with a small smile on his face.

“Hi, cutie.” he said as soon as I looked at him. “It is so nice to meet you in person.”

“It is so nice to meet you too.” I said, smiling at him.

I liked Andrew. He was calm and kind. I knew that I would feel safe with him. He had this aura around him, and each time I talked to him, I felt calmness wash over me.

Andrew walked closer to me, keeping a small smile on his face at all times. He bent down to my height and lifted his hand slowly. I think he was trying to see if I would flinch or pull back. I didn’t. I knew that he wouldn’t hurt me. He caressed my cheek gently, and I smiled.

“I love you, Aria.” Andrew said softly. “I missed you so much. I am so glad that you are back home with us.”

“I am glad to be back too.” I said as I felt tears gather in my eyes.

Andrew smiled again, stood back up, and went to sit next to his dad and brother.

I looked at my dad, who had a huge smile on his face. He walked over to Gabriel and me, placed an arm around Gabriel’s shoulders, and kissed the top of my head.

“I’m proud of you, baby.” he whispered, making me look up at him.

I smiled, and he caressed my cheek.

“Okay.” my dad said as he looked at my uncle and cousins. “Would you like to drink something before dinner arrives?”

Dad ordered dinner from a restaurant nearby. He said that he didn’t want to cook tonight. I offered to do it, but he refused. He said that he wanted me to relax and get to know my uncle and cousins.

“Beer would be nice, Henry.” my uncle said.

“Same here, uncle H.” Luke added, grinning.

“I still can’t get used to you drinking.” my uncle sighed, as he shook his head and looked at Luke.

“It’s a beer, dad, relax.” Luke said, leaning back on the couch.

“What about you, Andrew?” my dad asked, chuckling at Luke.

“Same, uncle Henry, thank you.” Andrew said, smiling at my dad.

“I will be right back.” dad said, turning around and walking toward the kitchen.

Gabriel pulled me to the couch, and we sat down opposite my uncle and cousins.

I never let go of Gabriel’s hand. I was more relaxed than I was before they arrived, but I was still a little nervous and scared. I still needed my brother.

“How was your first day back, cutie?” Andrew asked me, giving me a small smile.

“It was good.” I said, smiling back at him.

“God, you even sound like Jo.” my uncle mumbled, staring at me with tear-filled eyes.

“She is not mom, uncle Julian.” Gabriel said, pulling me closer to him.

My uncle looked at Gabriel and took a deep breath.

“I know.” he mumbled, looking back at me. “I am sorry, honey. It’s hard. I loved your mom so much, and I will never get over losing her. It is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Seeing you made me so happy. I saw my little Jo in you. I know that you are not her, honey. And I’m sorry if I ever made you feel like you were.”

“It’s okay.” I said softly. “I would like to know a little bit more about my mom. Maybe you could tell me about her sometime?”

My uncle smiled through a sob that escaped him.

“Of course, honey.” he said, wiping the tears from his cheeks. “I would love to tell you all about her.”

“Tell her about whom?” I heard my dad’s voice behind us.

I turned around and saw him walking in with four bottles of beer in his hands.

“Aria asked me to tell her more about Jo.” my uncle said.

Dad placed the bottles on the table and sat down next to Gabriel and me.

“Your uncle has some great stories about your mom, baby.” my dad said as he wrapped an arm around my waist. “And he will be so happy to tell them to you. He loves to talk about your mom.”

“Of course I do.” my uncle said. “She was my little girl. I adored her.”

“Just like I adore you.” Gabriel said, leaning in and kissing my cheek.

I turned to him and smiled. He pulled me onto his lap, and I leaned my head on his shoulder.

“I’m kind of jealous.” Luke said, making me look at him. “I would like to cuddle like that, shortie.

“Keep dreaming, Lucas.” Gabriel said, tightening his arms around me.

Luke smirked and winked at me. He was making Gabriel jealous on purpose.

I chuckled and shook my head, wrapping my arms around my brother.

He had absolutely no reason to be jealous. I didn’t want to be anywhere else than right here in his arms.

I liked my uncle and my cousins, but they weren’t Gabriel. They weren’t my brother. They weren’t my twin.

I just wanted my twin.