Chapter 17

"You're a bitch."

"Are you one to talk?" I roll my eyes at Caleb. I'm not sure how I ended up just telling him everything that happened between me and Louise. I guess I just felt like talking to someone about it, and Joane might not be the best option when it comes to all things related to that silver head. I didn't tell him all the details though, he doesn't need to know this has turned into more than just wanting to be physical with each other.

"I may be a man whore but I have principles, you know," he throws his feet in the air and on top of my desk. "If you want her then stop playing games, lay out your requirements, and go for it."

"Are we about to forget I caught you in our bed with a man?" I squint my eyes at him, hitting his feet with my stapler. "Besides, whatever it was is over now, it doesn't matter."

"Is that what you want?"

"I want peace, Caleb," I groan. "Can you imagine what would happen if word got around about my situationship with the boss's granddaughter?"

"I reckon you've told me you didn't care about being open in these kinds of relationships."

"Well, I happened to not know Mr. Arquette was your average homophobic billionaire." If he was capable of disinheriting his own daughter over her sexuality, imagine what he'd do to me, I'd get fired on the spot, and getting fired in the position I am in this company is certainly not a good look.

"I can give you peace, Esther..."

"Don't start—"

"Think about it, you'll be free to be with whoever you want, it's a win-win," he sighs. "Don't say no just yet."

"Granted I don't tell whoever I am with that you and I are in a fake relationship, am I right?" He nods. "Then how is this a win-win? Do you really think anyone in their right mind would agree to be with a married woman, no questions added?"

"You'd be surprised," he raises his eyebrows. "But I guess this isn't about just anyone, this is about her. She wouldn't agree to that, now would she? Because this isn't only about sex either, she's in love with you and you're falling for her."

"What makes you think that?" I ask, losing a bit of patience over this whole conversation. "You're making this up in your head over assumptions because you're trying to convince me to marry you, isn't that right?"

"I'm not assuming anything, I'm telling you what I'm seeing because obviously, you can't see it yourself," he says, no sign of the previous humor in his voice. "You're falling for a girl that could possibly end your career, I'm trying to help you."

"How is that going to help me?"

"This is your chance to either be with her without consequences or get her away from you for good," he rests back on his chair. "If she's nothing to you as you're telling me then wouldn't it be a relief if she's out of the picture? No more mental conflicts, no risk of getting fired over an intern. What do you say?"

"I say you're full of shit Caleb, your goal here is quite obvious and I'm not falling for any of it," I get up from my chair. "I've thought of you as a friend, someone I could trust in but I can barely recognize you now. This obsession of yours of hiding yourself is making you mad, and if you want to hide, go ahead and hide for the rest of your life, but you're not bringing me in with you," I say as I walk up to the door. "I can deal with my problems without having to commit my whole life to a greedy man."

"Well, can't say I didn't try," he sighs as he gets up from the chair, meeting me at the door. "But the offer will still be up just in case, I care for you, Esther—"