02. Joel Murders Bobbie.

T W O
Joel Murders Bobbie.

The rain soaks into my hair, water dripping off the ends of my tight French braids.

This is miserable. If I knew this would be how my day would end I would've thrown myself off the roof. Or impaled myself on the spring that pokes through my mattress.

Reaching back I grab for the hood of my jumper, but I can't find it and very quickly give up, "I really hope I freeze to death." I mutter to myself, definitely not bitter about my situation.

We walk down the pavement, I keep my eyes trained down, watching my feet so I don't step into any puddles, wet shoes will take my day from bad to unbearable. I follow behind Ellie, who follows Tess, Joel is somewhere behind me, and I can feel his eyes burning holes into my back. It really is only a matter of time before he snaps at me, I just need to not snap back. Tess turns into a building, getting us out of the rain. We walk down a corridor and I fall behind, debating on just running away. Tess opens the door that creaks terribly, Joel gestures for Ellie to go in, then looks at me with an expression that makes me disagree with Marlene's insistence that he won't kill me.

"Go." He demands, I don't move for a second, "Get inside, Bobbie." I raise my hands at his tone that is not to be messed with. I feel like I'm eight again.

Once Ellie and I are inside the little apartment Tess goes to walk back out, "Give us a minute, all right?"

"What the fuck?!" Ellie curses as the door slams shut behind us.

"Get used to it," I grumble, walking over to the sofa and sitting on it. If I'm going to be held against my will I'm going to get comfortable.

Ellie leans against the wall for a few seconds, obviously trying to listen into the conversation but gives up and begins walking over to me.

"What's the history," she asks, obviously hinting toward Joel and me.

"A whole lot of none of your business," I reply, picking at my short nails. I'd sooner have my nails slowly peeled off than delve into my history with Joel, explaining that sounds about as much fun as Chinese water torture.

Ellie is rifling through things that lay around haphazardly, lifting stuff and inspecting it, probably trying to find something useful. God is she nosey. She dumps her bag next to where mine lays and she grabs a book off the shelf, number one hits.  I watch her flick through the book, at some point she finds the sheet of paper hidden between the pages.

Joel walks back inside, dropping his bag to the floor and sitting opposite me.

"So, who's Bill and Frank?" Ellie asks, I'm thankful she's here – but then again she is the reason I'm here – because she swoops in, destroying the promise of awkward silence. Joel looks at her, clearly already annoyed. "The radio's a smuggling code, right? 60s song, they don't have anything new, 70s they've got new stuff, what's 80s?" 

Joel stands up and grabs the book out of her hands, slamming it shut and throwing it on the table beside her, he then lays down on the sofa, but not before Ellie can ask yet another question. "What are you doing?"

"Killin' time." He says plainly.

"Well, what am I supposed to do?" She asks, annoyed at her current predicament. You'd think this would be more exciting than being chained to a radiator, but who am I to judge? I've never been chained to a radiator.

"I'm sure you'll figure that out," he grumbles, shutting his eyes and getting comfortable.

She glares at him, not that he can see it, and grabs the book off the table and sits at the chair. "Your watch is broken." She observes. The comment makes me cringe, she doesn't know the importance it holds.