Part 9: Arrested

By the time you left the bookstore, you had finished your book and had been well on your way through another. You read fast when you needed an escape, and it worked. You hadn't thought of Dr. Crane since you opened your novel, but now, as you were walking back to the train stop, pepper spray in hand, your thoughts came flooding back.

The train ride back was long, but you sat motionless through it all. You made a point to register each person who got on and off of your car as it took you back to your house, but under the surface, a frightening flood of emotion threatened to wash over you. You promised yourself you would stay numb, at least until you were home.

When you got off the train and walked past the gates of Arkham Asylum, you refused to look at the great big building, refused to look at the window you knew held his office. You refused to acknowledge his absence on your walk home. This was the first time you walked home alone in an exceedingly long time. You keyed your door open and locked it shut, methodically kicking off your shoes and heading straight for your bed. After dropping your bag somewhere you were sure to trip over in the morning, you shed your outer layer of clothing and nearly fell into the comfort of your pillows and sheets, closing your eyes and pushing away every reminder your mind sent you of his beautiful blue eyes hid behind his glasses, and the way his lips felt on yours. Sleep claimed you soon, and your dreams were vivid and haunting that night, although you would forget them all upon awakening.

You woke up peacefully the next Saturday morning and turned to see if Jonathan was still asleep next to you, realizing mid-turn that he wouldn't be when you felt the zipper of your skirt from yesterday dig into your back as a painful reminder. When you rubbed the sleep from your eyes, your hands came back covered in old eyeliner and mascara, and you cursed your past self for neglecting to remove your makeup, reluctantly leaving the warmth of your bed and trudged into your bathroom to shower and brush your teeth. If only you could just stay in bed all day.

You peered at the stream of water coming from your faucet curiously, remembering the fear toxin. You sniffed at it, even knowing the drug was odorless. You didn't know if you should be relieved or concerned at the lack of a scent.

It's not like you haven't already ingested it, you thought, knowing that the vat of fear toxin that you had seen poured into Gotham's water supply definitely wasn't the first. To hell with it.

After getting ready, you fixed yourself a bowl of cereal and turned on the news to see Summer Gleeson, news anchor for Channel Nine News talking about some masked vigilante that had been apparently cleaning up the city, dressed as a bat.

"According to witnesses, the Bat-Man was seen running through the Gotham streets acting strangely, leading us to believe he was experiencing symptoms of some hallucinatory drug. This begs the question, who do the people of Gotham have to turn to now, seeing as their so-called savior was rampaging the streets, apparently under the influence?

"Now for a quick word from our sponsors. Stay tuned to see how the Bat-Man has led to the arrest of the director of Arkham Asylum last night. I've been Summer Gleeson for Channel Nine News."

She flashed a smile only somebody who had been trained for the camera could achieve, and an advertisement for some brand of yogurt played, leaving you shaken. Unable to move a muscle for the entirety of the commercial break, you closed your eyes and forced yourself to take deep, soothing breaths until you could hear Summer's voice again.

"Welcome back, I'm Summer Gleeson, this is Channel Nine News. This morning's story is brought to you by Ace Chemicals.

"Now without further ado, the story you all have been waiting for; Dr. Jonathan Crane was arrested late last night from his office, or rather his basement, in Arkham Asylum. Sources say he had been running an underground lab in Arkham, manufacturing a drug that induces extreme hallucinations and fear. His workers had been pouring the toxin into Gotham's water supply, however, police claim to have no worry about this, as the drug is apparently dormant in its liquid state. District Attorney Carl Finch's assistant, Rachel Dawes was reported to be there, although when the police arrived at the scene, they had only found Dr. Crane, suffering symptoms of his own hallucinogen, ranting about the so-called Bat-Man.

"Jonathan Crane, nicknamed 'The Scarecrow,' by the public due to the mask found laying next to him, awaits trial at Blackgate Prison in one week. Stay vigilant, Gotham City. This is Summer Gleeson, signing off."

You didn't know what to think, besides being eternally grateful that it wasn't a weekday.