T W E N T Y S I X

Ikaris met my door with a few light knocks before entering my room with concern etched in her face

Ikaris met my door with a few light knocks before entering my room with concern etched in her face. "Hey, are you alright?"

"Yeah why?" I answered, trying to play it cool as if I hadn't been suffering an unrelenting flurry of body aches since I woke up this morning.

"Because you looked awful during class today." Despite my best attempts to hide it, Ikaris could see right through me.

"Don't I always look awful to you?" I teased before succumbing into a fit of coughs.

Ikaris didn't bother returning my humor as she quickly sat down on the edge of my bed, resting the palm of her hand on my forehead to feel for any visible signs of fever which would be absolutely unconventional to people like us. "You might me coming down with a fever."

"What?" I half-laughed at the ridiculous assumption. "That's impossible, I've never had a fever in my life."

"Must I remind you that you've been stalling your Blood Bond for awhile?" She squinted at me. "It's even a miracle you're only symptom so far has been a fever."

"It's not." I shamefully looked off to the side, unable to witness my little sister's reaction to what I just said.

"What do you mean?" Ikaris leaned forward, eager to hear more.

I reluctantly rolled up my sleeve, revealing the jagged scar that still lingered on my skin. Although it was now faint enough to look like a birth mark, it still wasn't entirely gone, serving as a permanent reminder about the reality of my situation.

"How did you get that?" Ikaris didn't hesitate to press any further as I could feel her concern escalate with every passing second.

"It doesn't matter, all you need to know is that whatever happens, happens." I refused to recount the story of my fight with Nikolai since I knew that if I did it would only make things much worse.

Ikaris blatantly ignored what I just said with a puzzled squint. "What are you even saying right now? You are going to eventually deal with this right?" She looked out of my window in disbelief. "I mean surely you've spent enough time with him to know if you'll either turn him or eat him, right?"

"Listen to me Ikaris, I'll eventually tell him everything in due time, but the reason I told you that whatever happens, happens is because no matter how he reacts to the truth, I am never gonna do anything to hurt him." I spoke firmly before giving into yet another cough.

Ikaris looked genuinely appalled at my words, crossing her arms in deep contemplation as she tried all that she could to maintain her composure. "This is a life or death situation Dydan-you can die! What part of that do you not understand?"

"Chill out Ikaris, at least you guys won't have to pay a mortician considering that I'm already drop dead gorgeous." I childishly winked and paused for her to get the joke, but instead, her anger seemed to only intensify.