10

Kai woke up in the middle of the night with a clear head, and the pendant his mother gave him in his hands but the other person was completely gone from his side.

Kai felt the bad feeling rise up again, like a bad premonition. He hurriedly got out of bed, leaving the pendant lying on the messy covers, glowing under the faint light of the moon. Kai opened the doors with wariness, the halls were completely empty and silent; he could hear his shoes shuffling over the surface of the carpet.

Walking down the dark halls, Kai finally came to the front hall. This place wasn't as dark as the halls, in contrast, it was quite bright with the moonlight shining through the glass panes.

In particular, it highlighted a certain body.

Kai walked up to it with slower steps, his eyes growing deeper and deeper as he approached. He touched the black fabric of her dress and looked up at her messy hair. Her skin, which was always pale, seemed to glow as bright as the moon in this instance, but her eyes were as black as the bottom of the sea.

He reached out to touch her hands, they were as cold as ice, but he kept holding them. He looked at his mother's neck, which used to be adorned with the simple pendant but was replaced by a thick harsh rope.

Kai took a deep breath to somehow catch his breath that seemed to be lost, but he took another breath after that, and another, and another. Until he fell to his knees, clinging to his mother's legs, trying to catch his breath as he hyperventilate.

"Ahh..." Kai's voice croaked as the pain in his chest worsened. He rubbed his head into her skirt, trying to hide his pathetic appearance from the non-existence audience.

It was so painful. Losing them one by one. How much longer does he have to do this? How much longer?

Kai screamed into his mother's dress. 

I just want this to end as quickly as possible. It's been so long that I almost forgot why I'm doing this in the first place...

"It was suicide?"

"Yes, apparently the crazy woman hung herself."

"Tsk, tsk, and she left her son too. Poor child."

The whispers seemed to fall on deaf ears as Kai stood in front of the casket. His eyes were barren and empty but the two fists by his side were clenched tightly, his fingernails dug deep into his skin until they bled but the pain seemed meaningless.

"Look at him, he's not even crying. Is this child heartless?" More whispers emerged and all Kai wanted to know was...who were these people?

Why are they here? What gave them the right to judge? His thoughts took a sharp turn. They should all die. I should kill them all. Their disgusting mouths, I want them to shut up. They should all shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Disgusting humans, the cancer of society, I want them all to die.

Kai's eyes turned red, and an overwhelming noise took over his mind.

"Ahh!! Someone, stop this demon!"

"Kai! Kai! Kai, stop! Please!"

The familiar arrogant voice of Esmond woke him from his madness. Like a drop of water falling onto the surface of a torrential wave, everything became clear to Kai in an instant.

The smell of iron invaded his nose, and a warm yet wet sensation seeped onto his hands. Kai looked down at the disheveled woman before him; it was one of the ones who kept gossiping. Her nose was broken, and blood flowed down her face like a waterfall. In addition, her face was bruised and scratched, and the surface of her skin was torn, revealing the ugly meat underneath. One of her eyes was closed, but Kai could assume that it had also been injured.

The blood was on his hands, yet he felt no remorse for what he had done to her.

"...Kai..." Esmond's voice trembled as he looked at him. The sight of blood did not make his blood run cold, no, in fact, it was a regular occurrence to him. It was the way and manner in which Kai responded to the aftermath. Esmond's amber eyes crossed Kai's; they were so lifeless and dull, with no hint of remorse, anger, or sadness...it was like staring into an abyss. It made him freeze on the spot.

This was the first time he felt fear and he didn't dare to approach him.