15 - One Beyond Fear

It was dark when she woke. Ilona was still beside her, now with a blanket draped over them both. She rose groggily, struck first with confusion at the time, then with a ravenous hunger. A candle burned on the dining table, the only source of light in the room, where the afternoon's platter had been replaced with a smaller share of bread and cheese. She left the bed, careful not to disturb her sister, and crossed the room, peering out the window as she went, hoping to judge the hour. There were lights along the walls and in the yard below, torches flickering in the night revealing groups of men moving at quick marches to and fro. Something was happening, clearly, but her hunger allowed no speculation.

The bread was a bit stale, the cheese gone a bit hard, but nothing could have tasted better in that moment. Halfway through her second piece of bread, she recalled her earlier fears of poison, but she shrugged off the worry. Someone had obviously been in while they slept; if they had wanted her dead, they needed no such subtlety.

Ilona woke soon after and came over to eat as well. Both their attentions wandered towards the window, but neither spoke of it. When they had eaten their fill, at last Erzsebet said, "I'll go ask the guards what's happening." Ilona nodded, rising from her seat as well, and together they went to the door. Erzsebet knocked, calling tentatively, "Sir Nemet? Sir Szaniszlo?"

"The watch has changed, my lady. It is Mihaly now."

A pleasant surprise–she could think of only one knight she trusted more. She pulled the door open, saw the young man's eyes widen for a moment at the sight of her–her hair was surely a mess, but she could hardly bring herself to care. "Mihaly! What's going on? What is the hour?"

His eyes darted from her to Ilona and back, clearly hesitant. "It is about an hour before dawn, my lady. The guard has been mustered, for..." He cleared his throat, gave her a meaningful look.

Erzsebet turned to her sister, took her by the shoulder. "Go back to the table, Ilona," she ordered. "Have some more to eat. I have to talk to Mihaly."

"What? No!" Full indignation, as only a child could muster at being confronted by her own childishness. "You can talk in front of me. I want to know!"

"This is an adult conversation. No more complaints, or I'll tell Mother." She pushed the girl back then slipped through the door, and as she pulled it shut she had a final glimpse of pouting hurt, a look of betrayed trust that would have struck deep were greater matters not at stake.

Once the door was shut, she drew Mihaly a few strides away, sure that Ilona would be pressed listening against the wood. "Mustered the guards for what?" she asked, her voice hushed. Glancing down the hall, she saw they were alone, but the bustle of action could be heard from each direction.

"To escort the palatine's household out of the castle," Mihaly replied, matching her tone. "Apparently they have refused to leave."

She felt herself pale. "Benedek still hasn't awoken then? Will there be a fight?"

"I do not know. There's been no word of the lord since he went into their physician's care. As for a fight, well, their household guard number only a dozen. If they are foolish enough to resist, it will be over swiftly." The knight tapped the pommel of his sheathed sword, looking more than a little agitated–he wished to be with the others, she realized, in case anything did happen. "There likely won't be any trouble," he added, as much to persuade himself as her. "Your father wants a show of force, to dissuade the palatine from giving any rash orders."

She nodded, though she had only half-listened. "I have to go there," she said, before she had even given it any thought.

"There?" he repeated. "You mean–"