𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE | THE PLAY
The audience was packed when Neil emerged from behind a bush, wearing a crown of twigs and berries. Charlie tried to get up from his seat, pointing to his friend on stage while the rest of the boys and Cove sat him back down.
Charlie emerges from his seat, all excited.

"Either I mistake your shape and making quite, or else you are that shrewd and knavish sprite called Robin Goodfellow."

"Thou speak'st aright. I am that merry wanderer of the night. I jest to Oberon and make him smile. When I a fat and bean-fed horse beguile." Neil made horse sounds, the audience laughing. In their seats beside each other, Cove had her arm placed on the arm rest, Charlie debating if he should hold her hand or not. Next to him, Meeks had been watching the boy contemplate his decisions, leaning over to whisper to him.

"Carpe Diem, Charlie." The boy nodded his head in agreement as he placed his hand on top of Cove's, lacing their fingers together. Charlie turned his head slightly to see the Overstreet girl smile as she watched the play, making his insides feel all tingly. Never once had Charlie been scared to put his arm around Cove or hold her hand, but after admitting he liked her, he was nervous. This wasn't just his best friend anymore, this was the girl he liked.

"Neighing in likeness of a filly foal. And sometime lurk I in a gossip's bowl, in very likeness of a roasted crab. And when she drinks, against her lips I bob. And on her wither'd dewlap pour the ale. The wisest aunt, telling the saddest tale." In the audience, Charlie leaned over toward Cove, whispering to the girl.

"He's good. He's really good." Cove nodded in agreement as Charlie runner circles on her knuckle with his thumb. She slowly turned away, trying to hide the blush that crept to her cheeks.

"Sometime for three-foot stool mistaketh me; then slip I from her bum, down topples she, and 'tailor' cries, and falls into a cough. And then the whole quire hold their hips and laugh. And waxen in their mirth and neeze and swear. A merrier hour was never wasted there. But, room, Fairy! Here comes Oberon.

"And here my mistress. Would that he were gone!" The two actors hid behind the trees on stage, lifting their twig covered hands to hide themselves.

..........

"Then by your side no bed-room me deny. For lying so, Hermia, I do not lie."

"Lysander riddles very prettily. Now much beshrew my manners and my pride. If Hermia meant to say Lysander lied. But, gentle friend, for love and courtesy. Lie further off; in human modesty. Such separation as may well be said. Becomes a virtuous bachelor and a maid, and, good night, sweet friend: Thy love ne'er alter till thy sweet life end!"

"Cove." The girl turned her head to who was motioning towards the back of the theatre. Cove slowly turned to see Mr. Perry in the back with a scowl, mad his son was performing even when he told him not to.

"Char." Charlie hummed as he looked over at Cove, his eyes immediately softening when he saw the worried look on her face. "Neil's dad is here." The Dalton boy nods his head, understanding as he gave her hand a gentle squeeze, trying to comfort her.

"He'll be okay."

"Amen, amen, to that fair prayer, say I."

..........

The stage was dark, a spotlight revealing Neil with his back towards the audience. He slowly turned around to face everyone, a look of guilt and worry on the boys face.

"If we shadows have offended. Think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumber'd here. While these visions did appear. And this weak and idle theme. No more yielding but a dream. Gentles, do not reprehend. If you pardon, we will mend. And, as I am an honest Puck. If we have unearned luck. Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue. We will make amends ere long. Else the Puck a liar call. So, good night unto you all. Give me your hands, if we be friends. And Robin shall restore amends." Neil backed away from the light as the curtains closed, the audience beginning to
applaud enthusiastically. Charlie and the other boys rose to their feet, followed quickly
by the rest of the audience. The actors bowed before the other actors pushed Neil forward.

"Yeah, Neil!"