Bonus 2

Adedayo felt a shift on the bed and an arm clinging tighter to him. A smile appeared on his face while he recollected the day before and the night that followed. She had showed up at his door when he didn’t expect, when he nearly gave up hope of her ever coming back to him. They’d shared a passionate night together. He loved her as best as he could and held her tightly with the intention of never letting her go again.

Joy opened her eyes first and kissed him on the forehead. His smile broadened before fluttering his eyes open. 

He drew her even closer into his arms. “Good morning.”

She giggled. “Good morning.”

They stared into each other’s eyes with so much love. “You’re going to be late for work.”

His eyes lurked from one of hers to the other. “Should I call in sick today?”

She laughed in a way that made him keep smiling. “You don’t need to lie for my sake. I’ll be here when you get back and we can continue from where we left off.”

Though he knew she meant her words, he couldn’t help feeling a wave of fear. It really broke him the last time she was gone even thought he was the one who asked her to go. He feared, this time, something else might try to take her away.

“Nothing is certain. Anything can happen.” Dayo replied and she stared at him in silence. If only he knew how broken she had been without him and had made up her mind never to separate from him ever again. 

Joy lifted her head over his and kissed him softly on the lips. “As long as it’s not the end of the world, I’m never going anywhere away from you. So, go to work.”

They both laughed and she threw her head back on the pillow while Adedayo got down from the bed. He put on his shorts before heading out of the room for the bathroom. Joy gazed at the ceiling and heaved a sigh of relief. A few months ago, she wondered if she would ever get to see him again and now, here she was. 

It only broke her heart that she had to break Kenny’s heart to get to where she is now. Like she’d told him, he was a good man and she believed, someday, he was going to meet the right person for him. Joy was sure her mother would object so she’d packed what little she could and left without telling her, at least for now. She missed Dayo so much that she failed to think straight in those moments.

His place was little but it felt like home with just the two of them like in the past. Joy loved it this way and felt nostalgic as she looked around. 

Adedayo was over the moon after his wife’s arrival. He wasn’t sure if he could call her his wife. He shook his head at the thought. At least, for today, it didn’t matter. 

They shared another kiss by the door before saying their goodbyes and Adedayo walked through the door. He felt on cloud nine. The happiest he has been in a very long time. He was grateful to the universe for giving him this one happiness in his life. He was going to cherish it very much and be eternally grateful. 

Joy spent half of the day cleaning up, going through some things and managed to sleep for some time. The most peaceful sleep she has had in the longest time. She decided to make an early dinner for Dayo knowing it wouldn’t be long before he was back.

There was a knock on the door and she rushed off to it hoping to see Dayo. Instead, she met her mother.

“M-mum?”

“It’s nice to see that you still recognise me as your mother.” She said as she walked past Joy into the apartment. Though still surprised, Joy closed the door.

“Adesuwa why? What is wrong with you? You broke it off with Kenny and came back here without a word to me. What is so special about this place and that young man? I don’t like to sound like this but he has nothing to offer you. This is ridiculous.”