| CHAPTER ELEVEN |

Pitts stifled a yawn as he continued writing, shaking the tiredness from his head as he blinked repeatedly. Knox was fast asleep, his face stuck to a stack of papers, Meeks was doing a look-out sweep, Charlie was separating the large piles of paper into even smaller piles, and Neil was trying to get through his pile as quickly but effectively as possible so he could get through another one. 

     "I'm beginning to think that this was a silly idea," Pitts said through a yawn and shook his head again. 

     "It's for Lana," Charlie reminded him and that seemed to get Pitts writing again. 

     "We're all clear," Meeks announced as he entered the library again, propping the door slightly ajar with a book before he flushed down the library and to the table they were sitting at. "And I found twelve more." Meeks placed the papers in front of Charlie. 

     "How many petition sheets are needed for one person?" Charlie complained, beginning to become stressed and over-tired. 

     "Whoever did this clearly wants to be thorough." Meeks pointed out and began writing the names down again. 

     Each petition paper had at least twenty new names on it than the last one, so they had to go through every piece of paper, try and unjumble the names, and then write out the new names they came across. This had been a process that had been occurring for weeks. Neither of them had spoken to Lana, but they had seen her in class and at lunch and dinner. She began to skip breakfast. No new information had entered the newspaper, and whoever was behind all of this seemed to take Nolan's expulsion threat seriously to an extent. No more things were added to the newspaper, but Lana was still the talk of the school, and signatures were still appearing. 

     "I just hope this is all worth it," Neil spoke quietly, turning over another petition paper and linking the comments written with the signature. 

     Their plan was to write down the names and comments as their evidence, and then they were going to turn them over to Lana, who would hopefully turn them over to Nolan who would have no choice but to force consequences upon those who planned this scheme. They knew it wasn't a flawless plan but it was the best plan they had. It obliged Lana's wishes for them not to get in the paper and stirred up in her antics, but it would also oblige with their own wishes of clearing Lana's name. They were desperate for their friend back. 

The brisk Vermont winter engulfed the campus at Welton. The once colourful foliage of the fall now blanketed the landscape, and fierce winds blew the brittle leaves in torrents. Lana had kept herself inside for the majority of the day (weeks). She had curled herself up with a book, not written by any homosexual poets and not written by any author who had an interest in the supernatural. She read a Charles Dickens book, thinking that was the most innocent. 

     Lana had to admit, she was feeling lonely. Besides the odd question asked by a teacher and the glare at her from over the tip of their nose, she hasn't spoken to anyone. She hasn't even looked at Charlie, Knox, Meeks, Pitts, or Neil. If she did, then she knew that she would have to break from this cold character she created and she would willingly crawl back to them. They were everything she had. They looked after her and she looked after them. And now... she had to look after herself. And they had to look after themselves, too. 

     The boys kept their heads down during the announcement. They felt as though they had failed Lana and couldn't bare to try and search the room and accidentally make eye contact with her. They kept their heads down. 

     "And although some allegations towards Lana Paradis may be false, the achievement of trying to expel this student through petition signing and protesting outside of my office and in the courtyard has been granted." Mr Nolan flipped his paper and continued talking. "With her short time at Welton Academy, we have learnt that Lana Paraids--"