𝔼𝕝𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟

𝕊𝕞𝕚𝕝𝕖𝕪
𝕆𝕡𝕙𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒'𝕤 𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕤𝕖 (𝕒𝕜𝕒 𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕨𝕠𝕠𝕕)

I can't believe I agreed to come here. Seated at a large wooden table across from the woman I once recognized as my mother and her "boyfriend," Sebastian, I picked at my food, counting the seconds until I could escape this hell hole. The entire house clashed with me and my mom's tastes, which, admittedly, might be a bit tacky, but everything felt out of place. Marble countertops and various shades of white and beige were never my mom's style. I reminisced about the days when we first decorated our home, dancing and singing old R&B songs as we painted each room in vibrant colors. I don't want to come off as ungrateful; I love my mom, and I'm happy for her. I just wish I could have shared this experience with her.

"So, Violet, it was quite a surprise seeing you here. You rarely visit, especially since your mom and I made it official," Sebastian casually remarked, slicing into his chicken breast. I bit the inside of my cheek, taking a deep breath before responding. It's not that I dislike him; Sebastian  is a cool guy. It's just he tries so hard to play the "father figure" role and it puts me off.

"Yeah yeah I know I just haven't really had the time you know I've been busy and stuff." I replied, unintentionally making eye contact with my mom, prompting a disapproving look that made me want to sink down in my chair and die.

                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 hours later

I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about this conversation with my mom. It's not exactly a breeze to discuss matters where understanding different opinions is involved, especially with her. She's currently in the kitchen, putting all the food away, you know really embracing the whole quintessential "homemaker" role.  While her boyfriend's disappeared upstairs to engage in whatever activities middle-aged white guys do.

As I found myself on their back porch, a million thoughts flooded my mind. I decide to ease my nerves the best way I know , taking a puff from a rolled blunt. Inhaling the earthy smoke, I watched the rhythmic movement of the waves in their glowing pool.

"You're not that slick. I can smell the weed from the kitchen," my mom announced, throwing an arm over my shoulder. I quickly put out the blunt and stashed it away.

"Sorry mama... you had me a little nervous about our talk I had to ease my nerves a bit" I laughed awkwardly as she let out a short chuckle and looked at me.

"Oh, trust me, it's cool. You put it out before I could even ask for a hit. I know your little boy toy and his crew got some good stuff, maybe not Prophet-level, but still pretty decent." I rolled my eyes at her little spiel.

"He's not just some 'boy toy'; he's my boyfriend... I think I might be in love with him."

"Bullshit Violet! You don't love him you just wanna be with him to piss me off." She scoffed and looked away from me. I held my tongue I knew if I said anything it would be a fight and I really don't need my mom getting thrown out of her rich suburban dream house. I clenched my fist and focused my eyes on the pool.

"Anyway, that's not what I wanted to discuss with you. I've been thinking for the past three months, so much has happened for you especially with me leaving and you being at the house with only  Alicia.  I really do  think you're old enough to finally know about your dad hes-."

I quickly turned around at the mention of my father. "Mom its good I-I really don't need to know about him believe me. I mean he left a looong time ago so why should I care about some deadbeat asshol-" Almost as quick as lighting my mom smacked me across the mouth with the back of her hand.