Chapter 6

The harpy's cry echoed off the mountain walls and vibrated through my bones.

"Shit."

Prince Camden's head snapped out of my shoulder and looked around warily. "What was that?"

I did my best to hide my panic. Now wasn't the time to act like a terrified little girl in front of the prince. "Harpy. If one's seen us, more will be on their way. Hey, you know how to use that sword, right?"

He snorted indignantly. "Of course I do, what kind of a question is that?"

A question one asked if they doubted their partner's skills. I didn't say that, though. Now was not the time to have trust issues. I couldn't do anything with him plastered against my back; he was going to have to fend them off if they tried to pluck us off Marco's back.

"You might have to use it," I told him, scanning the area for any moving shadows. "Marco, call for backup. The harpies know we're here, no point in being stealthy now."

The dragon inhaled deeply then released a bellow loud enough for every dragon in the valley to hear it. It was also loud enough to send my ears ringing, so I didn't hear the harpy swooping in, until it was right on top of us. Prince Camden jumped to his feet and swiped at it. I caught his belt to keep him balanced. Marco turned his head to try to grab another harpy with his teeth, but the motion moved his whole body. It distracted the prince and a harpy smacked him into me.

"Marco, focus on flying. I'll take care of them." He would be fine, he was too big of prey for them to dare go after. It was us I was worried about.

Grunting, I pulled Prince Camden down onto the saddle and told him to hold the handles; he wasn't going to be much use if he couldn't stay balanced on the dragon's back.

"What are you going to do?" he demanded, attempting to stand up again.

"I'm about to show you why my father asked me to guide you. Now sit your ass down and don't let the harpies knock you off. Duck!"

A harpy came in from the right, claws poised to grab his shoulder. He ducked in time and I swung my sword right into its gut. It toppled over the side and hit the cliff face.

"Kal!"

I spun around--and was hit head on by a harpy. It smacked me right in the chest with its hard skull and knocked me back into Prince Camden who had stood to catch me. It raised its claws for me; I thrust my sword forward and sliced into its belly. Hot blood sprayed my face, but I didn't have time to gag on the awful stench. I kicked the body off the side and slapped the next set of claws aside with my sword. It aimed its beak for my shoulder; I elbowed its face and threw my weight into the back of its neck, bringing it down onto Marco's back. Prince Camden finished it off with a quick flick of his blade.

He grinned wildly at my stunned look. He had been fending off his own harpy not two seconds ago! "You don't think I'm going to let you have all the fun, do you?" He grabbed my hand and yanked me behind him so he could cut into the next harpy coming our way.

Marco banked right when the prince had taken a step forward, sending him off balance. I grabbed his jacket to steady him, while I pushed another harpy out of the way. They pulled back, at least a dozen circling us from above.

The harpies' cries filled the air, sending a shock through my ears.

Shit.

"Cover your ears!" I commanded, already reaching for his. A harpy's cry was just the right pitch to stun-lock someone for a second. It was all they needed to knock us off Marco.

The sound pierced my ears, jarring my skull. Screaming, I rushed to cover my own ears. It was too late. While I'd taken a second to scream and squeeze my eyes shut, a pair of claws grasped my shoulders and lifted me off Marco's back. Ignoring the roaring pain soaring through my shoulders, I swung my legs up and locked them around the harpy's neck, cutting off its air. It croaked and dropped me. I was fully prepared to scream again in terror of being dropped five hundred feet, but a hand clasped around mine.