20. Knots of Nerves and Bundles of Joy

(A/N: So... I accidentally wrote a pro-life allegory into this chapter. Readers, please keep in mind that this chapter does not reflect my political opinions; I was only trying to stay true to Y/n's- a very, very fictional character's- likely response to the matter and, as a writer, respect her characterization thus far. Much love, Beth.)

Y/n's POV:

 "Well, what else are we supposed to do?" Erik asked, pacing the confines of our cabin. He resembled a caged animal, and I never pitied him more. "Y/n, you need to leave before things become too dangerous. Really, you should tell everyone I kidnapped you, and-"

 "No, Erik, I've told you before. I won't do that."

I turned the window to face him squarely, my back leaning on the edge of the windowsill. Night rapidly fell over our homestead, yet nobody, neither myself, Nadir, or Erik, could think of bed. Instead, all of us gathered in mine and Erik's cabin to devise a plan of defense after the incident with Uncle Mike's package.

 "But, if you do, in Paris-"

 "There is no Paris for us anymore," I cut in, "we don't have the money to travel back there together, and the surete would have to drag me there kicking and screaming."

 "Fine. Maybe you shouldn't go to Paris. You're right about us not having the money for it. What about California then? That's a long way away. Maine? North Dakota? You could even stay in Oklahoma, just on the other end of the state."

I could tolerate Erik's futile plans no longer. I was not going to abandon him so easily. I was not that sort of wife.

 "No, Erik, I refuse to leave. The baby could come any day now-"

 "I'm trying to protect you, Y/n, and the baby. This is for the best."

 "I have a solution."

Nadir's words were quiet, weighed carefully in anticipation of our diverse responses. Nadir sat at the kitchen table, staring into the stove fire with a lukewarm mug of bitterly black coffee in hand. Finally, though, he looked up.

 After surveying mine and Erik's expressions, he continued, "you install locks on the door and windows. Y/n still shouldn't leave the house unsupervised. The three of us set up a nightly watch, and honestly, Erik, you should only be leaving the house under necessity. It's bad news if you get spied here."

Erik nodded slowly, his pacing gradually coming to a lock. At last, he turned to Nadir and replied to him.

 "I suppose these are worthwhile precautions, but if Y/n continues to disobey and be obstinate-"

My simmering resentment overpowered my common sense.

 "Erik, you stop speaking this minute, and let me talk. You can't speak of my obstinance like I'm some willful manager of your opera house. You have confined me to this house for too long, and now, you want to send me away, and oh, I couldn't bear leaving you!"

I broke off, a sob cresting over my throat. Maybe it was all pregnancy emotions growing uncontrollable. Then again, perhaps the true despair at leaving Erik made the feelings genuine.

Erik, noticing my distress, came over to me. He patted my arm and led me to an empty chair. I sat down, but even then, I struggled to let go of him, fearful that he might slip away from me forever. 

 "Don't cry, Y/n, please. I'm not going to leave you, and I'm certainly not sending you away without your consent."

These words consoled me, and despite my fears, I believed him.

Sniffling, I swiped away my tears and strengthened my voice.

 "Then what else are we going to to do?" I asked.