Part 20-Myra's Story

By late evening Tanya was getting restless. They had come traveling so many miles, and here they were, sitting idle. She wished to make her request to the head witch and return quickly. She wanted this task to be over, and then go back to the city to pick up the pieces of her life once again. She had to sit for her examinations, and then she would look for a job. It would be difficult to explain to her parents at first, but she was sure she would manage. She was lost in her thoughts when there was a knock on the door. She opened the door to find Sabine standing there. "Good evening," she greeted Tanya, ambling inside. "Marina would like to see you now, before dinner."

Once again, they walked through the winding corridors and passageways. Marina had asked only for her, refusing to see Ray. She had left him sitting in the gigantic living room, being entertained by Emma and Diana, two young witches. With a pounding heart, Tanya waited as she and Sabine stopped in front of an ornately carved door. Sabine knocked on the door, and immediately, she heard a woman permit them to enter. With great trepidation, Tanya entered the huge bedchamber. It had a high ceiling with an oculus in the center of the domed roof. A four-poster occupied a side of the room and a mural depicting a magical scene held pride of place on the wall. A rocking chair, a chaise lounge, and a small three-legged table were arranged on another side. Tanya's eyes wandered over to the bedside table where a small framed portrait of a girl was placed, but as she advanced into the room, her attention was drawn to the woman who sat on the rocking chair. 

So, this was Marina, the head witch, she thought. The woman appeared to be ancient, with a shrunken frame, and wrinkled, parchment-like skin, showing her blue veins. A head full of gray hair crowned her. She beckoned Tanya with a finger, indicating to take the chair. Hesitatingly, Tanya went forward, sitting down on the edge of the chair, her heart almost ready to jump out of her throat. She felt even more awkward when Sabine chose that moment to leave them alone."So, Luna, What is your name?" The old woman asked, eyeing her with curiosity. "Ta....Tanya,Madame," she stammered. "You are human." It wasn't a question, but Tanya nodded in acceptance."What do you want from us?" Marina inquired, a skeptical look on her face. Tanya gathered all her courage in her hands. She could not afford to fail in her mission. "Madame, I have recently come to know about....about the curse....which affects my husband," she paused to take a deep breath. "And?"The older woman obviously did not believe in making it easy for her. "I...I...seek your help...in finding a cure for it." There! She had said it.

 Marina stared at her for some time, then she spoke in a serious tone, "Do you have any idea why he suffers from this curse?" Tanya shook her head. Joe had only told her what little he knew. "Well, girl, it is not as easy as you think. Also, I see no reason to help the werewolves. We have not been on the best of terms with them." "But....," Tanya started. Marina waved a hand to silence her. "Come, it is time for dinner."

Dinner was quiet. Tanya was in no mood to eat. To come so far and to return empty-handed did not appeal to her. Ray looked at her in a manner that said, 'I told you so.' The long trestle table was set with deliciously mouthwatering dishes, but Tanya found herself toying with her food while she glanced down the long length of the table. Marina sat at the head of the table. Sabine sat on her right. Emma and Diana seated on either side of Ray, laughed vivaciously at something Ray said, while on the other side were seated two other middle-aged witches, scowling-faced Daisy, and Susan who sported a stony expression. Everyone avoided speaking of the real reason why she was there and conversation centered around her life in the city, or the unpredictable weather, or some such mundane topic. It was clear that the matter was closed and by tacit agreement, it was decided that they would leave in the morning.

The first light of dawn filtered through the gossamer curtains, dancing on the floor. Tanya went to the window to move aside the curtains and gaze out. A beautiful vision met her eyes. A wild garden, with flowers growing in profusion, a riot of colors. An ancient oak stood sentinel against the sky, and a stone bench occupied the space below it. Drawn to the charming scene outside, Tanya wrapped a shawl around her shoulders and walked out of her door. Of course, it struck her then that she did not know the way, but she found Duffy carrying a meal for the dogs, and he pointed her in the right direction. Tanya sat on the stone bench, soaking up the morning sun and inhaling the fresh garden scents. She was in a pensive mood, having to go back without getting the cure she had come for. Now nothing remained for her except to go to the city, leaving Neil for good. How would she live without him? 

She was engrossed in these thoughts when she noticed Marina walking towards her with her shuffling gait. What did the old woman want now? "Good morning, Luna," she greeted, taking up the seat beside her."Good morning," Tanya returned, not in the mood for small talk. "I have been thinking about your request," she said unexpectedly. Her heart lifting up in hope, Tanya turned to her, "Have you?" "Before I promise you anything, let me tell you a story," Marina's next words made her curious. The witch took out the small portrait from the folds of her voluminous robe, passing it to the girl next to her. Tanyagazed down at the face in the portrait. It was one of a beautiful woman with a pixie-like face and long golden hair. Her eyes seemed warm and sparkling and a mischievous smile graced her lips. Anyone could see that the girl had been full of life. "Who is she?" Tanya asked. Marina looked with deeply saddened eyes, before answering, "She was my daughter, Myra." "She was very pretty," Tanya commented. Marina nodded, before continuing, "She was a lively girl, able to make anyone fall in love with her. She sang beautifully and could play the piano. People were enchanted by her charms. Unfortunately, one day she attracted the eye of Remus, the Alpha of the Northern Mountain Pack. She fell in love with him and he too became besotted with her. They met in the forest, swam in the river or just lay in the meadows, talking for hours. Discussing their future, or so she thought." "What happened then? Did they get married?" Tanya asked, interested. Marina shook her head, and a tear escaped her eye. "When the time came, Remus chose his duties as an Alpha, over his love. Due to a border dispute with another pack, he entered into an agreement with that pack. Part of the agreement was that he would marry the daughter of the Alpha of the Green Hill Pack, the one with whom he had the dispute. So, he left Myra pregnant with his cub, and married another woman.""Oh!" Tanya's heart sank. It was the worst thing that Neil's great-grandfather could have done to aggravate the enmity between the two communities. She also had the inkling that the story did not end there. "And Myra? What did she do?" "My little girl was totally heartbroken. There were no half-measures with her. She had loved him wholeheartedly. Despite our assurances that things would turn better with time, she could not face life without him. It was yonder rails," she pointed to a long railing on the far end of the grounds, which too looked down on a sheer drop. "She....she....jumped from there, ending her life," Marina concluded with a heavy sigh. "Now tell me, Luna, was the curse not well deserved?" Marina looked shrewdly at her. 

Tanya could only nod wordlessly. How could she ask for help now? Neil's family had wronged Marina. She could not expect her to help them now. The old woman extended a hand to touch her shoulder. "You remind me of my Myra..." she mused. Tanya stared at her wide-eyed. "Beta Ray had come to me last night. He is a stubborn young man, who would not take no for an answer. He told me all about how Alpha Neil tricked you into marriage and why. Those men are without scruples. Plainly, Neil takes after Remus. He also told me that even after knowing everything, you decided to undertake this quest for a cure. I wish that my Myra had had half the courage to face the life that you have, my child." Moved beyond words, Tanya knelt by the older woman's side, placing her hands on her knee, she looked up at her, "Mother....." Tears coursed down the cheeks of both women. How long they sat like that, she had no idea. Time had no meaning as the two women shared their grief, the old one which haunted Marina, and the new one which had wounded Tanya. The two stories seemed similar to her. Betrayal in love. Did not those men deserve to suffer for their deeds? The only problem was that Neil's suffering hurt her too. She still loved him with all her heart. Maybe in this, she was really like Myra. She too did not believe in half-measures. So, where did she go from here? Will Marina give her a cure?