Dad

Sydney had to stay after school and talk to her volleyball coach about some scheduling next week for their official school tryouts. She's the co-captain with Jessica Murphy.

Our small group has different talents. And our concerns.

I'm the hockey captain. I play like my life depends on it because it really does. My dad's an asshole, my mom's dead, and my brother is stuck in a boarding school.

Sydney's life is volleyball, parties, and daddy's money. I love the Wyatt's obviously, them being my home away from home and all. But Sydney isn't gonna have to worry about paying her way through college.

Yoda is Yoda. Brilliant at anything art related. That boy can sing, act, play instruments, draw, sculp, and paint like you'd never believe.

And Mobius now too.

I haven't quite figured him out but I will let you know when I do.

This night is going to go really well. I can feel it in my bones.

I spent hours trying to figure out what to wear, how to do my hair, if I should clean my car (I did), and how to do my makeup.

I never do makeup. But Scarlett Santoro wants to sit by me at this game.

I was finishing my mascara when I heard the front door open and shut, followed by heavy bags hitting the floor, and multiple pairs of feet on the living room floor.

I peaked my head out of my room and down the dimly lit hallway.

"She's probably in her room." My father's rude, cold voice was approaching.

I ducked in my room and sat in my bed, pretending I was sitting there the whole time.

Who was he talking to?

Maybe he's giving me away.

Or selling me.

Hopefully he's selling me.

I'm worth more than $0.

I'm hot.

"Natalie." He opened the door the rest of the way. His dad's voice is on.

His gentle, you're-so-precious-to-me voice. I haven't heard it since I was younger. Start of high school maybe.

"Yeah?" I sat up, pretending I actually gave a fuck what this abusive drunk has to say.

He cleared his throat, "Your brother is home and I would like us all to have dinner."

"What?" I sat up straighter, unsure of which part I was so confused about, "Melly is here?"

He nodded, his lips pursing together, "He'll be going to West on Monday." He stepped back, "I've brought home chicken so get out here and eat."

I stood up, setting my phone on the wireless charging pad sitting on my nightstand, "I actually told Sydney I would go to the football game with her tonight."

He groaned and looked at his watch, "When does it start?" He didn't look at me.

"6."

Without looking at his watch, he shook his head, "Won't work. Get out here."

My heart thumped in my chest. I don't even like football games. I don't understand football. I am sad because she wanted me there.

And Mobius did too but he's Mobius.

"Dad-"

"No." He put his hand up, "Go say hi to your brother."

I could cry right here.