┃42┃

The following days were peacefully serene and quiet for the husband and wife.

Although Yang had too much business to deal with and thus had only a little time for his wife, Fei chose to be understanding of his situations and provided him comfort whenever he'd return in the night after a long day of work.

They had become much closer. However, it wasn't purely natural. Instead, it was because of the efforts Fei was putting in for her husband.

With her little warm gestures, her healing presence and the way her own mother had brought her up with affection, she was giving it all to him.

However, she knew that it wasn't enough.

...

One day strolling side by side in the garden, the pair kept their silence and enjoyed each other's presence.

It was early in the morning, the temperature was quite low and the surrounding was foggy.

Fei could hear the chirps and coos of the birds which made her smile, she simply loves these sounds.

Her form was wrapped up in a mint green shawl with her hands gripping onto the warm material to provide her the comforting heat.

"Are you upset with me?" The man asked, his voice hoarse and gentle. With his mature and cool presence, anyone could tell that he's been dealing with some tense situations lately.

And it was true. He'd been barely accompanying his wife for the past few weeks. All he did was come at night and release his exhaustion by using her body to comfort his own carnal needs.

Yang was aware of his negligence and he did feel guilty for it. Sighing softly, he waited for her to speak.

His wife didn't complain at all. This obedience alone affects him a lot and makes him feel even more guilt.

He hurts more than her if he mistreats her in any way out of exhaustion. Last night, he went overboard and raised his voice at her.

All she did was smile in return, adding more pain to his throbbing heart.

"Why would I be upset?" She said in a soft tone and walked ahead of him to touch the maple tree as she caressed it.

Her eyes lowered, lips puckered up in a silent submission. She did feel upset but it was her fault in the end.

"It.. was my fault for skipping my meals."

Yang strode forward and pulled her in his embrace. "Why are you like this?" His hands rose up to cup her face. "Why don't you complain even when you feel so wronged?"

Fei couldn't refute anymore and backed away from his embrace to lean on the trunk of the tree.

"I don't feel wronged."

"You do."

She giggled and gazed at him with her watery eyes. It was unfair. It was unfair that he could read her so well without any effort but she couldn't.

"Does my husband want me to cry for his attention?" She said in a petulant manner which made the man in front of her chuckle in amusement.

"Yes," he admitted to it before caging her against the tree. He bowed his head to capture her delicacy in a slow toe-curling kiss as he continued to murmur out. "How can I make you forgive me? Tell me."

"Do sit ups." Hurrumping indignantly, she pushed him away and pouted, looking pitiful and adorable to the man's eyes.

"I'd rather die." He gripped her face and was about to go for another kiss but was denied as the little thing turned her face away, causing his lips to fall on her cheek.

Not minding her stubbornness, he greedily trailed his kisses on her neck and pulled on her waist to flush her against his broad chest.

He could feel how her sensitive body trembled in his hold as he continued to do his wanton acts.

"Why do you hurt me so much?" The man playfully blurted out and chuckled before continuing further with his teases. "Knowing that I love you so much, you keep doing exactly the things which I don't like."

Yang hates the feeling of guilt which never ceases to stop its gnawing on his heart which was full of her.

Was letting her rule his heart not enough that now that she's even learnt how to make him feel so terrible for hurting her?

"Is it my fault?" She struggled under his arms but it was of no use, as usual.

"It's mine." He shamelessly grinned and muttered under his breath. "Punish me, darling."

"Kneel." Although she said that, she wasn't expecting him to listen to her when the man knelt as soon as the word left her mouth.

With his hand propped on his one knee and another foot taking support from the ground, he was kneeling like a knight, ready to take his oath.

"Happy?"

Fei was taken aback by surprise and couldn't react for a long time. She didn't expect it at all.

In a daze, she recalled what her mother told her once.

"A man who can throw his pride away for the woman he loves, is the most sincere companion of life."

Fei knew that she must've appeared childish and outrageous because of her silly demand for asking him to kneel.

However, only she knew why she was so persistent about it.

She wanted to see if the man who had been trying to hide his emotions from her all this while was truly sincere to be with her in this life.

How silly of her but it surprisingly took all the doubts away from her heart like a beautiful whirl of wind.

Her eyes teared up even more and she sniffled before throwing herself in the kneeling man's arms, who effortlessly caught her tiny form and made her sit on his one knee comfortably.

"H-Husband, I'm so happy." She sobbed and giggled at the same time. Looking up, she met his eyes before planting a peck on his cold lips.

Yang chuckled and looked at her in amusement. He wasn't expecting such a reaction out of her.

What a silly girl.

"Does that mean you've forgiven this husband of yours?" He dived in for a needy kiss and to his delight, wasn't denied of it as his wife responded to his kiss enthusiastically.

"No."

"Hmm? Then do you actually want me to do sit ups?"

"Yes!"

...