Illogical Rage (6)

•TW•

"Micah! Come quick!" Axel's voice came from a distance, his tone instantly putting me on edge.

Something's wrong.

Blake's eyebrows furrowed as he looked up to me, a glint of fear swirling in his green eyes as his interest in the roses was lost, his shoulders tense.

"Stay here. Don't move." I tried to make my voice sound as calm as possible, not wanting his fear to ignite but also needing him to understand this wasn't a light matter. He sat back down and, attempting to reassure him, I held his gaze before I made my way out of the greenhouse, closing the door behind me and running to where Axel had called from.

It wasn't far, just through the training fields. I tore ass as fast as I could, trying to ignore how nervous I am. Stuff like this doesn't happen often, all the states are at peace. I couldn't show anyone my fear though. As long as I remain calm, so would they. Everything will be fine. That's my responsibility.

When Axel's eyes finally met mine, he ran to meet me, a panicked look on his face. He looked out of breath too, his forehead damp with sweat.

"We have a problem, there's been an attack." He paused in front of me, trying to catch his breath before he started walking backwards to face me, keeping pace with me up to the Main House, "It was an isolated incident, but we have confirmed that it wasn't a Pack member. This was an outsider. We've done everything to locate them but it's like they've just disappeared."

"Why didn't you tell me about this sooner? If you had all that time to try AND fail to find them, why wasn't I fucking informed?" I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but anger was starting to come off of me in waves. There was an attack on my territory, and I only hear about it after the fact? Are you fucking kidding me?

"I'm sorry, I thought I had it under control." It was clear he was speaking to me through his teeth, biting back his own anger at the situation as he turned to walk straight, leading the way. I just rolled my eyes at him, my jaw clenching as he opened the back door and led me to the in-house medical center on the first floor. All the other bedrooms were on the second and third, the first being reserved for me and the rest of the living accommodations, like Lily's office.

I stopped at the door, peeking in through the small window. She only looks to be 10-12 years old. Who would hurt a fucking kid? I took in a deep breath, pinching the bridge of my nose as I tried to compose myself a little.

I opened the door, offering the young brunette a smile.

"How are you doing?" My voice came out soft and gentle and for that I was thankful. Lily sat at her side, going over a chart on her clipboard.

"I've been better." The girl tried to laugh it off, tears brimming her eyes. She had a large bandage wrapped around her arm, little spots of blood leaking through the white gauze.

I smiled at her again, my heart feeling heavy,

"Don't worry. Lily here," I stopped to point, "is the best doctor I know. She's gonna take real good care of you. I promise, we won't let whoever did this get away with it, okay? Has anyone called your parents?" My eyebrows furrowed, somebody damn well should've by now.

"I did, yes. They'll be here soon." Lily's voice broke the short silence, the girl offering me a smile and nodding her head before looking down to her lap, playing with her fingers.

"Axel. Send someone to get Blake, please. I left him in the greenhouse out back." I didn't take my eyes off the girl as I spoke, her shoulders slumped as she tried to offer us all convincing smiles. Lily's buying her 'I'm okay' act as much as I am. Not at all.