The Goddess of Moonlight

The moment Ning Yuexi opened her eyes, the rushing sound of water vanished. The coldness of the water disappeared as if she had never fallen on water.

There was only darkness and extreme silence. Ning Yuexi could even hear her own heartbeat. It was beating dangerously fast, the adrenaline rush made her restless.

Suddenly she saw some lights ahead and started running towards it. It took a long time, Ning Yuexi was exhausted from running but still couldn’t reach the light. She felt despair and all kinds of negative emotions.  Just when she wanted to stop, she felt she was closer to the light source. But when she started to run towards it, it was far away.

With a pop, Ning Yuexi fell on the hard rocky ground on her knees. The delicate skin instantly broke and started bleeding. Even breathing seemed to be difficult. But before she could think again she was warped in lights, Ning Yuexi couldn’t help but close her eyes.

This time when she opened her eyes, she found herself standing, there was a blood stain on her white skirt but the knees were unharmed. In front of her stood a large ancient door with various patterns.

"That was not a dream. Then where am I now?"

Ning Yuexi looked at the door and felt it seemed to be the door of a temple. With curiosity, she pushed open the door with difficulty and entered.

"It really is a temple. But why is no one here?"

She walked and found another door. It had some characters engraved on it. Worshipping Hall.

Ning Yuexi didn’t know why but she had an inexplicable intuition that something big was gonna happen and it might change her life. She took a deep breath and with shaky hands she pushed the door. It opened automatically.

There were rows of candles burning, and a statue of a goddess stood there silently, unmoved by worldly affairs. Standing alone and smiling at the void with its eyes closed.

Ning Yuexi felt all her blood rushing. Her whole body froze. She only looked at the statue in shock.

That's her.

A statue as high as thirty meters, stood there in a dancing move with a lotus in one hand and another hand on top of its head with a butterfly silently resting on it. The face similar to hers was so beautifully carved that the smile on its face was soul-stirring.

"Ning Yuexi, you are here."

Ning Yuexi snapped out of her trance and looked around to find the voice source. But there was no one. "Who is it?"

"Sigh."

"I am Yue Lian. The goddess of Moonlight. Or you could simply address me as Moon god."

Ning Yuexi felt her knees trembling.

A god?

She never imagined that one day she would have an encounter with a god.

The surroundings changed quickly and she found herself in the middle of the lotus lake, standing stably in a lotus leaf. Moonlight shone on her gently.

"Why am I here?"

"God's Successor Tests. You should know what it means dear, don't you?"

Ning Yuexi replied, "Why are you so certain? Why choose me?"

The voice spoke again, "Choosing you was not random. The moment you came into this world our fate intertwined. You were bound to take this place."

Ning Yuexi remained silent.

"Don't think so much. Being here was originally your choice."

"What do you mean by my choice? Didn’t you bring me into this world?" Ning Yuexi suddenly asked.

"Why would I? My position does not allow me to do that. And— don't you think the past life in your memory is too vague? Was it even real?"

Ning Yuexi couldn’t think of it. The reality she believed was crumbling. She was becoming increasingly restless and confused. "If— " She stopped herself from saying anything.

The voice continued, "When you saw the statue in the temple, what did you feel?"

"Peaceful and indifferent." Ning Yuexi subconsciously answered.

The moonlight that was shining gently suddenly became very sharp and engulfed her. Ning Yuexi tried to focus on her glaze and the night scenery before it changed.

In a white space filled with lotus fragrance and mist.

A gentle lady walked closer, her whole body was warped in a plain white robe. There was some elegant silver head jewelry a small crown on her head and a silver waist belt around her waist supporting her white robe. She was beautiful and pure.

"Are you willing to take the Nine Tests of Moon God?"

Ning Yuexi took a deep breath. Even if she was confused, she knew it was a huge opportunity for her to become stronger. So she nodded.

"Yes, I am willing."

The lady smiled gently and turned around. The white space changed again. In front of her stood a crystallized castle with a marble floor and silver-decorated pillars.

Yue Lian walked inside unhurriedly and said, "Be prepared."

The moment Ning Yuexi stepped inside the Castle her body kept emitting lights and she was forced to float in the air.

A mechanical voice rang in her ear.

"Ning Yuexi, 12 years old, soul lord. Condition excellent. Potential excellent. Matching with the Moon Good excellent. Selected for the next successor."

A silver crescent moon appears on Ning Yuexi's forehead. She officially became the God's successor. It felt like a dream. The light dimmed and Ning Yuexi felt her toes touched the ground.

"Congratulations. Do you want to take the first test?" Yue Lian, the Moon God spoke.

Ning Yuexi was still thinking about the surreal events happening around her. She didn’t react at first. But after a few seconds, she asked hurriedly, "What is the first test?"

"Find your destined lotus."

"There is no time limit. But you can't leave this place nor the ruin without your destined lotus. Good luck." With that Ning Yuexi found herself again standing in front of the lotus lake. 

In a place where she couldn’t see, Yue Lian, the Moon God sighed. "It won't take long. After all, it was originally yours."

The author has something to say:

Here is another apology for being late. T-T

Guys, don't worry it won't be long before I end this ruin part. This was a crucial point in Ning Yuexi's road to becoming a god and I couldn’t avoid it. But after that, we will enter the original plot and face off the protagonists. Yay!