13. Elevator Ride Continued...

Peyton's blue velvets engulf me and hold me with such love, that it's hard for me to look away

Peyton's blue velvets engulf me and hold me with such love, that it's hard for me to look away. Without even glancing at the people waiting to enter the elevator, my hand cups her face, her supple cheek fitting perfectly into my palm. My thumb glides along her cheekbone and my voice rumbles out, "I mean it, Peyton."

That gaze is hazed over with awe as her eyes search me, looking for the sincerity I wear heavy on my features. Our moment is interrupted by an obnoxious voice clearing, followed by a gruff voice. "We have a reservation if you don't mind." 

My eyes turn to an overly tan guy dressed like he belongs in some men's fashion magazine. The girl next to him gawks at me with wide brown eyes. 

I move aside to let them in, my hand falling away from her face. "Pardon us."

Peyton has gone completely pale. The couple stands next to us, and the girl keeps peering over and scanning me.

"So, like, is this the guy you're deeply in love with?" she asks.

Peyton's whole face turns beet red that makes a ruthless smile spread across my face. 

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I ask.

"Hayley," The pretty brunette states. "I can see why no other man exists for you."

I raise a brow at Peyton who covers her face in sheer horror. 

"Really now? You said that, Doll." 

Peyton's face turns away from me and her left hand goes to her mouth as she starts gnawing on her fingernails. The right side of my mouth turns up in satisfaction. My hand touches her elbow to get her attention, but she refuses to acknowledge me. Instead, I glide my fingers down her soft skin until they reach her palm. My chest expands as such a simple motion causes an overwhelming love to pour out of my heart and into my veins. Our hands interlock, fingers lacing, and she softly falls into me, her blush extravagant as a pinched smile accentuates her cheeks.  

I kiss the top of her head, breathing in the remnants of the ocean's salty crystals embedded in her hair. Noticing the man staring at us with an irritated expression, I tighten my grip on Peyton's hand and cock a brow at the guy. "Is there a problem?"

The man gives me a glimpse but seems to high and mighty to even respond. We are polar opposites. He's slickly dressed in a crisp white button-down that's tucked into pressed slacks. His hand moves to his hair, combing through the perfectly styled locks as a Rolex around his wrist glints from the dim elevator lights. 

As I analyze him, he does the same to me. I'm in my uniform pants, boots, with a white t-shirt and dog tags hiding underneath. "Military."

"SEAL," I state.

HIs eyes widen a moment then he shakes his head, lips curling in disgust as he snorts.

My eyes glance back at the brunette who blushes deeply at the attention. She decides to speak for the arrogant jerk. "This is Mark, Peyton's business partner."