Chapter 10 - Sophie Lasker

Theo waited for lunch to be served, his posture the epitome of casual as he leaned back to regard Lord Lasker. He'd requested the lord's presence the moment he'd woken. They had much to discuss, but one thing in particular.

They filled their plates with roasted grazer and gravy, healthy portions of rice and vegetables. His stomach grumbled eagerly; he'd missed breakfast. Lord Lasker lifted a bite to his mouth when Theo said, "You failed to mention you have a daughter, my lord."

Lord Lasker froze, mid-bite. Then he quickly swallowed and said, "A...a daughter?"

"Yes. And a wife."

The lord's expression darkened. "My wife is dead," he hissed.

Theo hesitated. "I am sorry to hear that. And your daughter? Is she also...dead?" Lord Lasker opened and closed his mouth several times. "Do not lie, my lord. I am a drengr, we can detect lies." That wasn't true, but how would he know?

Lord Lasker reached for his goblet, taking a deep drink, then thunking it down harder than necessary. "My daughter...she is...she is unwell, Your Highness. I did not wish to mention her to you because she is not in a fit state to...to be taking visitors. She keeps to her room."

"Unwell, you say? That is unfortunate. What is it that ails her?"

"An...an ague. The healers cannot quite...cannot quite determine its cause."

"I am sorry to hear that. Nevertheless, you will arrange for our introduction. I would like to meet her."

"But, Your Highness. She could be contagious. I...I would never forgive myself if she made you ill, if her condition...spread."

Oh, he was really trying, wasn't he?

"Has it?"

"Why...why yes. Several of the servants succumbed. Died, even."

"They died?!" He feigned mock surprise.

"Indeed. Most devastating. I am afraid it would simply not do, for you to meet her."

"I will take it as a grave assault, if I do not meet her. I am happy to visit her at bedside, so she need not be overtaxed in her state."

Lord Lasker liked this even less, but he couldn't exactly say otherwise, or risk his charade. Assuming it was one, because he was laying it on thick. He simply didn't want the prince meeting her, probably worried about her virtue, and all that.

"Besides," he found himself saying, "I am a drengr. Her sickness, no matter the ailment, will not pass to me. You need not worry of killing me, my lord."

Given the look on Lord Lasker's face, he very much wanted to. "Right. Of course. Most fortunate."

"Good. You will make arrangements for us to meet this afternoon. As for the other matter I'd like to discuss..."

He inquired into the prisoners they'd captured. Lord Lasker had plans to question them today, in hopes of finding Lady Mask's identity. He'd used this method before, without success, but he was overly pleased that the prince had captured someone who looked much higher up in the regime. Edric was Lady Mask's second in command. A small victory, it seemed.

He wasn't confident in Lord Lasker's ability to get these men taking, but he'd give the man a chance. If nothing came of it, he'd pay Edric a visit himself. Perhaps the rebellion's second would be more forthcoming with a prince.

He needed to know Lady Mask's identity. The need was beginning to feel like an itch, burrowing beneath his skin. Something he wanted to claw out.

The remainder of their midday meal together was tense, but he was used to that. He left Lord Lasker, feigning a busy schedule, reminding him that he awaited the invitation to visit the lord's daughter. "If I don't receive word this afternoon, then I'll go find her myself," he warned.