2 - Daughter of a Don.

"Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged."

- Samuel Johnson

The biting cold of the Windy City winds howled mercilessly as if trying to keep out all the uninvited, baying for the blood of the guilty

Wrongdoings fell to us to fix, my father ruled by ridding the streets of drugs. A crime boss in uniform, some used to say about my father, a law unto himself. But the end, as he said, justified the means. There was a war out on the streets of Chicago, a struggle between order and anarchy. My father, Wayne Pierce, fought that battle relentlessly, using his own hands to drive the narcotics scourge from the streets.

Now his mantle had passed to me, an honor I wore proudly and fearlessly. He gave me a badge, a uniform, a strong code of conduct, but more importantly, he gave me his legacy.

I took in a cold breath before entering Conor's office, already dreading the issue he'd mentioned earlier on the phone.

"Hector, son, I'm glad you're here," Conor greeted me with a welcoming warmth, offering a hug which I gladly reciprocated.

"Papà, you knew I would," I returned the affectionate gesture. "What's going on?"

"Good to have you with us, boys," Conor acknowledged Ryker and Zane with a slight nod. The urgent, troubled tone of his voice had them already on their guard, standing at attention.

"I heard about Ronan. How on earth did he end up in the mess with twenty kilos of H?" I questioned, a confused furrow settling on my brows.

"Sergei Ivanov." The two words conveyed it all.

"That son of a bitch!" Zane fumed, his anger matching mine.

"That's precisely why I summoned you boys. I need help and you three are the only ones I trust," Conor expressed.

"You don't have to ask us for a favor, Papà. Simply let us know what needs to be done," I replied.

"Matias Delgado and his son were scheduled to arrive two days ago but there's been no sign of them. I strongly believe that Russian bastard is holding them captive. This situation is urgent, Hector, and I'm deeply concerned for their safety," Conor laid out his worry.

No further explanation was required. "Consider it handled. And what about Ronan?" I inquired.

"He has the top lawyer in town working for him. He's well-looked after," Conor reassured me.

"That's reassuring. We'll handle the rest," I declared, heading towards the exit, flanked by the boys.

"Do keep me informed," he grasped my hand firmly, "And my boy, be careful."

Nodding, I stepped out of Conor's office.

As I made my way back to the car, my fury was threatening to erupt in full view. But I managed to keep my composure, something that was anything but good.