four

. now .

His eyes start searching mine and his mouth gapes open a bit, as if he's seen a ghost. I can't stop my eyes from going wide. Of all the places that I could have seen him tonight this was the least ideal. It hasn't been too long since we were in this exact position and yet it feels like it has been forever. I am so entranced by his face that I can barely feel his hands at my waist, but once I feel it, it is all that I feel. As inappropriate as it might be, it feels natural, like I can breathe again.

"Tom, there you are." I look behind me to see Lily standing there. I look back and for just one more second Tom looks at me as if he is almost in pain. Maybe he is, after all I've done to him. He lets out a deep breath before dropping his hands from me, finally looking away, and pushing past me. My gaze follows him until he is out of my sight. I don't want to turn around, but I force myself to. He stops at her side and places a small kiss on the top of her head. I can only imagine that this is how we used to look. It's only when he pulls her into him that I notice Vi standing behind them with a slightly disgusted look on her face.

She sees me and walks toward me, nearly shoulder checking Tom on the way. "Oops." She says simply, giving them no attention when they both look at her. She turns me around and pushes me toward the restroom. "So much for preventing an ambush I see. I already know you didn't go, come on."

We enter the restroom, and she guides us into the big stall. "But Vi,"

"I know, I know just be quick." she says. "So, I guess she's the new girlfriend." I finish and try to adjust my dress. She helps me. "Ready?" she asks with a weak smile. I want so badly to say yes but there is no point in lying. I had only slightly prepared myself to see him, but I had in no way prepared myself to see him being affectionate with someone. Josh told me, but it was still so hard to believe.

"No." I say, trying to keep back my tears. I have never felt like disappearing more in my life. Just dropping everything and running away. Vi pulls some of the toilet paper and starts to dab at my eyes. She has been this person for me and Josh for a while now. The one that takes care of us.

"Look babe, you can cry later. Right now, let's go and get this over with." she says, opening the stall and going to wash her hands. I follow behind and do too. After our hands are dry, she grabs mine and we walk back out into the crowded seating area. It consists of several large round tables, a few standing ones, and a portion of the floor reserved for dancing. Now that I am getting a chance to slow down and pay more attention, it actually looks really nice.

We make our way to a table where Josh and Rachel are sitting with her sister. I take a seat next to Josh and Vi takes the next seat. "You okay?" Rachel asks leaning over to grab my hand. I nod.

"I'm fine, just taken by surprise." There is no other way to describe it. I mean, I am sad, and hurt, but mostly surprised.

"We're here if you need anything." Josh says. "Oh, and just one more heads up-" I let out a breath trying to prepare myself for what he is about to say.

"I guess we're seated here too." I hear Tom say as he picks up his place card from the plate it was once sitting on. Great. I turn my attention to them. His eyes shift from the card to me. They don't leave me as he pulls out a chair and he places a hand low on Lily's back to guide her into the seat. They don't leave me as he takes his own seat either. It isn't until Lily speaks that finally looks away.

"This is great. Tom, these are Josh's sisters, Vivienne and Amelia." She says as she gestures to each of us. I can see Josh and Rachel share a confused look out of the corner of my eye. He must not have mentioned me at all. He really did just start fresh, I guess.

"It's nice to meet you both." He says with a nod before he sips his water. I can see the gears turning within Vi's head, so I place a hand on both my siblings, trying to key them in to just play along. As much as this is going to hurt, if this is what he wants, then I'll give it to him. What's the harm in that really.