Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 68: Ranndu

Ranndu looked worse than the last time I had seen him—maybe even worse than Borgal. Blood drenched his sleeves, and gray boils spiraled over his face and hands. His shoulders hunched, and his frail frame shuddered as though protesting the effort of remaining upright. But despite his state, he gazed at Isalio with something approaching reverence, and when I told him what Isalio wanted to try, he shook his head vehemently.

"Your Highness, I heard you sent away the Morgabeast in Sitaklasa," Ranndu told Isalio. "And I saw how easily you struck down the Demons attacking us. You should be worrying about more important things than me."

Even though this had been Isalio's idea, his eyes widened a little when Ranndu addressed him directly. He backed up a step and spoke very quietly, not quite looking Ranndu in the eye.

"I promised to free everyone from the barn, and I failed."

"But the barn is empty now."

"Not because of me."

"Because of you, it will stay that way. And because of you, I always kept hope."

"Because of me, you're dying." Isalio's voice broke, and he bit his tongue before continuing. "I stole lifeforce from you many times. The least I can do is try to give some back."

I wanted to speak, but I stopped myself. It was hard to watch Isalio struggle to talk to Ranndu, but it was also good. He needed this. While admitting his guilt might be painful, holding it inside was killing him.

Ranndu shook his head. "It's not your fault, but you're right that I'm dying—and it's too late to change that." He held his arms out in front of himself. Blood dripped from his sleeves, and his hands shook. "Everyone knows that coughing blood is a death sentence. Even a High Prince can't bring someone back from this."

"I can't," Isalio agreed, "But maybe Remgar can."

Ranndu and I both raised our eyebrows at that.

Isalio continued. "I was coughing blood too, but I haven't since"—he glanced at me and swallowed—"since I started taking lifeforce from Remgar. So, maybe his lifeforce has special power, and maybe I can pass that on to you."

"Why were you coughing blood?" Ranndu asked, at the same time I asked, "You think my lifeforce is healing you?"

Isalio ignored my question, but for the first time, he looked Ranndu straight in the eyes. "Ranndu, I want to keep my promise, but it's more than that. If I let you die, I don't think I can live with myself, much less save anyone else. I need this. So, please...let me try."

I knew how it felt to have Isalio beg. Kiss me, Guardian... please. This situation was very different, but his plea was as effective now as it had been then. Ranndu released a long exhale and then nodded.

"Alright." His voice was still shaky from fatigue. "What should I do?"

Isalio lifted a palm. "Just give me your..."

He eyed Ranndu's hands: scarred, twisted, and stained with blood. His gaze fell to his own extended hand: smooth, pale, unblemished. Then he closed his mouth and dropped his hand.

"I forgot one thing," he told Ranndu. "Just hold on a moment."

He turned toward me and nodded at the chamber's entrance, then started walking. I shot Ranndu an apologetic smile before hurrying after Isalio.

By the time I made it to the corridor, Isalio was pacing, fingers digging into his hair.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," he whispered, too quiet for Ranndu to hear from the chamber. "What was I thinking? He's covered in scars and blood from all the times Demons like me have taken his lifeforce, and I just...." He dug the heel of his palm into his forehead. "I can't do this. I'm no hero. I destroy everything I touch."

icon lock

Show your support for Spelunkadunk, and continue reading this story

by Spelunkadunk
@spelunkadunk
In a world ruled by Demons, a noble Guardian interrogates a manipulat...
Unlock a new story part. Your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.
See how Coins support your favorite writers like @spelunkadunk.