Chapter 2

My brother and his girlfriend with my book!!!! look how beautiful!

-------------

The bed wash ended up being completed with the help of another nurse and her first-year student nurse. The bed wash ended up taking a little longer than we had anticipated due to checking for bedsores and treating the pressure ulcers on his feet. Overall, the wash went well as we managed to get him all clean and repositioned in bed.

~

The day passed quickly and before I knew it, we had lunch, and it was time for the second round of medications for those who needed to get them. We quickly went through the procedure once more to give the medications, checking the name and date of birth as well as the hospital number. Once that was done, we just needed to give one of the patients a new intravenous line in their arm and then write notes. My nurse allowed me to take out the old IV line much to my nervous excitement. I had never done it and I had also never had one, so while grabbing all the equipment in the drug room she explained everything to me that I'd have to do, even showing me parts when I was confused about what she meant. At first, I believed that the tubing in the arm was an actual needle, and I was scared of having to take one of those out, also curious how none of the patients seemed worried about having a needle in their arm for a long period. However, my nurse calmly explained it to me, letting me know that the needle that goes in also comes back out and leaves the tubing in its place. Upon realising it was just the tubing, I was getting excited to remove the IV. Reaching my patient, I first asked whether he was alright with me removing the IV before proceeding to do it. I gently removed the tubing and quickly applied the little round pressure dot to the place where the tubing had previously been. I then stepped back to let my nurse give the patient his new IV tubing in the other arm. I watched carefully as she did so. She was done in no time, and we were back in the drug room cleaning up and putting everything away. I also took this chance to quickly jot down in my notebook everything I had done so far, and the new learning gained.

Once we were all done, we made one final round to see if our patients needed anything else. When done, we made our way back to the nurses' station, sitting down to write the patient notes from the morning shift.

"Valerie, would you like to write the notes for the patient in bed 124?" My nurse asks as she holds the folder out to me. With a bright smile, I take the folder from her.

"What should I write?" I questioned. I had written a patient's notes with her once before however she listed everything that I needed to include.

"Here, why don't you write down a draft on what you think needs to be included, and then we'll go over it together, alright?" With a small nod, I grab the small piece of paper from her hand and take a seat a little further down the desk so there is more space. A small sigh escapes my lips as I get to reading over passed notes, trying to determine what I should write and apply it to today's shift. It took a bit of time for me to figure out the best order to write things in, so it made the most sense. After several minutes I'm satisfied with my draft and turn to my nurse, ready for her to check. With a couple of small changes made to my practice note, I get her approval and started writing in the patient's folder. Ensuring I write as neatly as possible so others can read it. After all, I'm not a doctor so my notes have to be readable. And yes, some of the doctors at the hospital do have bad handwriting and it is hard to determine what they are trying to say. Reading their notes is 90% guesswork and 10% actual readability.

Once finished, I make sure to write my name and sign at the end, including my designation as a student nurse. I also draw a line beneath the note, ensuring no one can add on under my name. When done I give it to my registered nurse to read over one last time before co-signing.