39: Unsocial Media

Our first four videos gathered over two hundred likes in less than a week

Our first four videos gathered over two hundred likes in less than a week. Brody posted one every other day, and I wasn't sure how I felt about strangers seeing us as a couple. What if we got called out for being fake? My hesitation wasn't from going on pretend dates, but going on pretend dates with Brody...

...Because I had the biggest crush on him.

I shouldn't—gosh, did I know how much I shouldn't—but I couldn't help myself. It developed slowly and without me paying direct attention. When he mentioned not having reasons not to kiss me, I didn't either.

We were supposed to be fake—technically, we still were—but he was amazing. My heart wanted to break through my chest from how hard it pounded while we danced at Homecoming, and I felt a jittery excitement every time I remembered kissing his cheek. I blushed on the way home, where my shower wasn't cold, and I squealed into my pillow before bed.

His taking the itching powder was enough, but he looked at me with new recognition after 'feeling like fire ants were chewing me apart,' in his words. Standing up for me like no one else did. An incredible person hid behind his shyness. It was a privilege to know him better, and watching the guy who had two left cooking hands salvage his cooking test made me proud enough to burst out of my skin.

Over the next week, I caught myself looking at him all the time. Vi smushing us together for a couple pictures became as damaging to my heart as Brody's grins. It was more than his cute dimples and eyes sparkling into a warmer brown, but I couldn't stop gazing at him. Profile, side-view, or full-on didn't matter.

Liking him tore me into this weird hot/cold personality. Half the time, I got foggy-brained from thinking about him, or I struggled not to be obvious. Trying to hide my looking at him under my lashes and forcing myself not to look was impossible.

Based on Vi's curious looks, she suspected something was off. I told her I was nervous about Stanford. Brody hadn't applied early, but any school would be stupid not to take him for his athletic skills. Brody was carrying the Falcons, and he was seriously distracting during games. I volunteered to work the stands so I could see him play. His unreal speed made him so exciting to watch. Once, he waved from the sidelines, turning me into an absolute fangirl.

My only salvage from spilling my feelings were group dates. I agreed when Vi suggested we play minigolf Saturday night, only to discover another physical thing Brody crushed. I was losing count at this point.

The last rattle from his ball curved into the hole. "Yeah!" He pumped a fist and grinned.

Vi exhaled a dramatic, loud sigh, making Nia giggle and nudge her. "Guess we can add another sport to the list. How am I supposed to follow Brody?"

"With your normal, subtle grace and charm." I rested my hands on the rubber end of my club.

"One for Brody, Nia."

She scribbled his score. "One for Brody. You're turn, Vi."

None of us except Xavi, who didn't make it past flirting with the guy handing out clubs and balls at the pro shop, were surprised. I would've been if Brody was finally terrible at something, but he wasn't.