Chapter 9

I know I have to take this to the police, but I also know they won't do a thing. Just like with Lara. I get off the chair and take my phone. First thing I do is go to the contacts. I see Daniel's name there, he left his number. He also called himself with my phone, meaning he has my number too.

I call the police to report the photo and they ask for me to go into the station. I know I can't live hiding from the world, but even though it's still daylight, I open my door very cautiously and look each way before getting out. I look at every person I pass, trying to make eye contact to determine if they're the stalker. I don't get anything out of it apart from some confused looks from strangers that notice I'm examining them.

On my way to the police station, I make a stop at a kitchenware store. I search around for a while, until I come across a small switchblade. One of those knives that spring out from the handle on the press of a button. It's small enough to fit into my pocket. I don't know if it would help me with an attacker, but at least it makes me feel like I have something to rely on. I also go to a tech shop searching for a security camera, unfortunately most of them are out of my budget so I settle for a cheap battery operated one. It has a small range, but it will be able to capture anyone within about a meter from the door.

I go straight home after giving the report to the police. When I get home, I start looking up a bunch of videos on self-defence. Not a full hour later, Nina comes home from uni. As soon as she sees me, she can tell something is wrong. I show her the photo and the message,

"This is becoming serious!" she cries, hugging me, "you have to stay in the house until they catch him!"

"I was thinking the same, but I can't just sit here, wait for something to happen. I have to keep living my life"

"But what if he does something to you? He knows where you work, where you perform, where you live... how can you even for a moment think to continue doing things when-"

"Nina, I can't just sit in here. I can't. I'd go crazy"

"I can stay with you"

"Until when?"

"Until he's caught"

"Who will catch him? The police aren't doing a thing to find him. Lara has been on them since the start, they did nothing at all. They might never find him. Not until he does something like..." I cut myself off, wiping at the tears that once again filled my eyes,

"Are you saying you're planning on going to your dance tonight?"

"What option do I have?"

"But he might attack you! You can't seriously plan on walking alone"

"I'll walk to the studio, it's still daylight, and then I'll catch a taxi home"

"With what money? Even if you get a cab today, what will you do tomorrow? The day after? You got the vet bill to worry about too. How do you think that will all work?"

A knock on our door stops our conversation, Nina stands up to open. We both know it's her boyfriend George, she's been expecting him. I lower my head back into my hands. I know she's right about everything, but honestly, what choice do I have? Whoever the stalker is, he's obviously trying to scare me. The only reason he'd leave a letter under my door is to have me afraid. And I don't want to give that satisfaction to him. I don't want to be afraid.

"Hey Sofia" George greets, I lift my eyes, he's looking at me curiously, "you okay?"

"Yeah, all good"

"Nina told me about your stalker"

"She did?" I glance over at Nina,

"You know I tell him everything" she shrugs, "but there's more, George. She got a letter from him"