Chapter 2. A Bolt in The Blue

"Okay, I just want to make sure I got this correctly," Marie's loud voice sounded from the Calling crystal. "You were supposed to have your first night together, and you... fell asleep?"

Her remark made Ann flinch. She looked around - the morning street was mostly deserted. Two pedestrians were strolling by on the opposite side of the road.

For the sake of privacy, Ann pressed the crystal closer to her lips and lowered her voice. "I know, right?! I was so embarrassed after that... it's a terrible, terrible beginning to our life together!"

Marie laughed. "Dear, don't be so hard on yourself! It's just the first day of the rest of your life. There will be many more to enjoy!"

"That's exactly what Theo said."

"And he is right," Marie said reassuringly. "I think you have nothing to worry about."

"And yet, I'm worried."

"You know... Maybe you just need a better plan this time."

Ann stood at the crossroads, trying to decide which direction to take. She couldn't recall the street name where her university was located. The only thing she could think of was the fiasco with Theo. "A new plan?! What do you suggest?"

"Do your best to prepare for tonight," Marie explained. "Drink a cup of strong coffee in advance to stay fully focused. Then put on your best lingerie and -"

"Okay, I think I got it." Ann covered the crystal with her palm, eyeing a suspicious young man standing just two steps away. It seemed like he was also lost. Ann wondered if he might eavesdrop on her private conversation, so she hurried to wrap it up. "Alright, thank you, Marie. I hope you have a nice day at school."

"Haha, what an irony! It's my first day as an art teacher and yours as an art student," Marie chuckled. "And we're the same age!"

"I'm just starting out," Ann reminded her. "By the way, I'm a bit lost in this big city, so I should be going. I don't want to be late, and I don't want to screw up today."

"Fair enough," Marie agreed. "Okay, good luck!"

"Thanks. You too," Ann said before disconnecting.

The young man who had been staring at Ann all this time now smiled at her. His long raven hair shone brightly in the sun, giving him an air of mystery.

"You're an Art University student?" he asked, his pale lips widening in a smile.

Ann looked around helplessly. She had no idea how she had ended up on the empty street, and now this weird stranger was trying to make her acquaintance.

"It's not nice to eavesdrop," she mumbled.

"Maybe." He narrowed his black eyes. "But I'm just being polite. The university is in a different direction. I can show you if you follow me."

Ann swallowed as she took a step back. "Thank you, but no. I think I'll find my own way."

"But you're going to be late," he pressed. "Wouldn't you be in trouble?"

I can awaken my Gift to chase him away, Ann thought as the stranger moved a step closer. She clenched her fists, and the wind around them grew stronger. "Why do you care so much?"

"Because I've lived in this city my entire life, and I can help," he said, wrapping his black leather jacket around him. "Gee, where did this cold wind suddenly come from?"

"From me," she stated, her eyes piercing his. "Now, get away from me!" The wind whistled loudly, tearing the leaves off nearby trees and swirling them in a whirlpool around the young man. He was trapped now.