Mission Status: REPAIRING

Breathe, just breathe.

"009-"

Jeez this is really happening!

"009 can you hear me?"

It's for the mission but I don't want to end up like Faye.

"009!"

"Huh" I snapped back to reality to the sound of 001 voice.

"You don't have to do this" he urged putting his outreached hand through the gap "we'll find another way"

I looked down to his hand and reached forward with my own trembling ones squeezing his gloved palm gently "You know that as each second goes by the stability of the drive decreases by 0.027%"  I remind, there's no way he's forgotten but I'm sure he's just looking for an excuse for me not to go.

"I know, I know but–"

I shake my head "I got this" I tried to assure despite the tears that glassed over my eyes.

It's not like anyone could see it through my visor anyway.

~~~

I had worked with precise movements to apply the specialised adhesive patch over one of the damaged areas ensuring a tight seal to prevent any further degradation.

But 004's constant breathing down my back was really shaking my concentration. Like those examiners who would pace up and down the room as we took a test- do they know they're being unhelpful!

"Careful! Careful! Meu Deus! Do you not understand the meaning of do not touch panel structure" she fumed

"I'm sorry" I murmured whilst letting out an annoyed breath that blew stray strand of my hair away from my face "I'm trying"

As I finished applying the patch, I looked up to the next spot.

As I got closer I was shocked by the sudden snap in the cord causing me to stop in my tracks.

The line...

It was too short.

No way!

I was so close, just the tiniest bit out of reach.

Uhhgggg, to be one of the guys right now and have at least an extra 5 inches!

"What are you doing, 009? Get closer," she instructed, and I could hear the rustling of the mic as she nervously fidgeted with it.

"I can't, the line isn't long enough." I tried to explain

"Well then, tie it off and hold onto the bars."

TIE IT OFF! and risk floating around in space? Ok, ok, it's fine. I can do this! It's basically like easy monkey bars right?

Suddenly, glowing words in the corner of my helmet's screen popped up from the captain:

'The spatial displacement generator is malfunctioning as well.'

Wait, the what what generator? I really should have studied the ship's structure harder.

'But orders are not to engage.'

Ok, phew, at least I don't have to worry about that problem. Let's just focus on the area ahead and then get back to the crew.

With a decisive click, I detached myself from the tether. Then instantly my hands wrap around the metal bars, gripping the rods as if my life depends on it.

Well technically they kind of do– that is until:

˗ˏˋ ✧ ˎˊ˗

A sudden jolt rocked my body, and I could feel the violent current rip through every nerve and muscle. It's the least I can do to stop myself from screaming out in agony; instead, I'm assuming, it came out as a bunch of sounds of anguish.

My vision blurred, and sparks danced before my eyes.

In the background, faint alarms blared in my helmet, notifying me I was drifting away. But even as my heart races and I desperately try to grab onto something, fog floods into my mind, and all I can do is watch helplessly as the ship drifts further away in my darkening vision.

Yay another chapter (sorry it's shorter)
Thank you for reading
And I hope you all have a lovely day :3
👾