Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch. 23

I leaned against the wall within the Bridge and listened. All employees had been dismissed. If the war was upon us, just days away, did we need them? Not anymore. Our newest androids were all set; their training would be with Reggie. He just needed to be okay for it to happen.

As day turned into night, Victoria gave Reggie his thorough checkup—he was fine with a lot of scrapes and bruises. According to her, the torture was enough to make him furious, but I knew, just as I felt for myself, love went a long way. With her by his side, Reggie would make it. It wouldn't be today or tomorrow, but over time, the grief and pain would become tolerable. It wouldn't fade. Nothing fades.

"Elijah said Daniel gave us a date." Ezekiel stepped closer to Victoria and Reggie. He had washed the blood off of his skin and changed his clothes. Casually dressed in a white shirt and joggers, he used a towel to dry his hair. He smiled weakly as he looked at them; I saw that clearly from where I stood.

Beside the elevator doors felt safe for me. Being next to an exit, an escape, always made me comfortable. Growing up, my home never felt like a prison, and with Victoria by my side, I knew if I needed to run, I would be okay. Right now in Lyons' prison house, all I had was my family and this exit. What was outside terrified me.

"We'll get him." Using Victoria as support, Reggie stood from his chair. "We'll end this war."

"Do you think it's that easy?" Ezekiel dropped his towel to his side. "I came from his neck of the woods. I know what he's capable of."

"And now you're on our side and know what we're capable of." Reggie straightened. "We will win."

Reggie made me smile, but I couldn't look at him anymore. The cuts on the side of his face made me angry. Sad. Furious. I felt like I failed him. I was a criminal, a murderer; a woman's life ended in my hands. How could he stay on my side if I was becoming the android we were up against?

"We will," Victoria said. The tone in her voice made me look up again. She nodded as she stood in front of Reggie, cupping his face in her hands. She brushed his cheeks with her thumbs. "We will beat him and live freely together."

Reggie looked at her. With a weak smile, he touched her cheek. "Forever," he said.

Forever. I chuckled under my breath as Ezekiel grumbled, muttering, "Fucking love birds, the world is ending and this is all they do," under his breath.

Let them be in love. I looked up as the elevator dinged at my right. I bit my bottom lip as the doors opened. Frank's tired but optimistic and determined face came into view. Weakly he smiled. In the end, love wins, right?

"Well, we have until noon on Saturday." Ezekiel's voice carried over to us. "We have some days to prepare, but I believe we can do it."

I sidestepped and leaned against the wall, facing the elevator. Frank did the same and pressed his shoulder against the door, keeping it open. I looked into his eyes and flecks of brown color circled the iris. I stared long enough until he flushed, tongued his cheek, looking away with a smirk. Chuckling, I touched his chin and made him look at me again.

"We can," Reggie responded to Ezekiel. "I only need rest. We can regroup tomorrow."

"Look, you two know I'll do whatever you need me to—"

"And we appreciate it," Victoria's strong voice joined the conversation. "Give him a day and tomorrow we train the androids."

"That's a plan." I glanced at the talking trio just as Ezekiel scratched his head. "If any other models need to be turned on, I know Elijah can do it," he said.

icon lock

Show your support for Vee Lozada, and continue reading this story

by Vee Lozada
@veelozada
Brilliant mechanic and now a cyborg himself, Elijah tried to build a...
Unlock a new story part. Your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.
See how Coins support your favorite writers like @veelozada.