Chapter Eight

The doctor comes quickly after Astrid informs this mysterious Devon

The doctor comes quickly after Astrid informs this mysterious Devon. But from the memories I have, Devon is Callum's regent who has been with him since birth. Supposedly the two were taken care of by Devon's mother who was also Callum's milkmaid, and Devon's father was the previous regent.

"The date of birth will be approaching soon," the doctor says, pushing his monocle further up his nose. He rubs his hands together nervously as he glances over at Callum. "It's a good idea to prepare the midwife or a trusted relative to be by Her Majesty's side."

We're currently in my palace, in my room. And by 'we', I mean everyone who matters in the story. Callum stands at my bedside next to the doctor with his hands on his hips. He stares down at me, or rather at my stomach. Whereas I was forced to lay on my bed while the doctor examined my abdomen. Funny enough, even male doctors are not authorized to glance up a ladies dress unless he is her husband. That would explain why I've learned that a midwife or a relative - namely an aunt or mother - typically aids in birth.

Behind Callum is fucking Astrid. I find it odd that she was allowed to accompany him and I think that they're theorizing it with the fact that she's a saint. Either way, the way her eyes have been trailing over my room with a smile is giving me an eerie feeling.

"It's good for all stressful situations to also be put on hold," the doctor informs. He straightens his beige-colored jacket and glances at every participant in this room. "Anything that may cause anxiety should really be evaluated and removed."

It's nice to know that even the doctor knows about this emperor's shenanigans. Though I'm sure the whole kingdom knows as well.

"Right and when should we expect the baby to come?" Callum asks. He still doesn't remove his eyes from my belly, but I really can't make out the look in his eyes. "How close is soon?"

The doctor clears his throat. "I would say in the next two weeks at least."

My chest tightens at his words; it's a mixture of excitement and fear. With this belly, I knew I had to be quite far along, but this is a lot closer than I thought. By far, it's not a good time to be bringing a baby into this world, not when I still have so much to fix at this place. And not when the mistress still seems to be a catalyst for everything ruining my life here. If there's one thing I know, it's that I'm sure everything would be over for me if she were to get pregnant. At least I can't be sure if her life as the saintess will also end if a pregnancy were to result.

The doctor begins to pack up his black gladstone bag. Bidding us a bow and a farewell, he leaves my room. Then the three of us are left in silence, but my thoughts are as loud as ever.

Callum sighs and rubs a hand down his face. "I'll make sure I call for Sophia to come down. As he said, having a midwife with you even now will be best. Preparations will need to start for the heir to the throne."

Sophia is Devon's mother and Callum's milkmaid. From what he's saying, not only will she help to deliver this child, but I believe she'll also serve as his nanny. My memories of her do prove that she's a well established woman who is revered through all of high society as one of the noblest women in Torbum - outside of the empress, of course.