Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Ch. 4: Tempers Flare

I've been on the exercise bike for almost 10 minutes when my spidey senses go on alert. I speak in a low voice to Martina.

"I think that guy over there is watching me." I gesture with my eyes to a guy with light brown wavy hair who is working out with free weights over by the mirrored wall on the other side.

Instead of looking concerned, Martina actually chokes back a laugh.

"Hadley. That's one of three guys who have been checking us out since we got here. Me too, but mostly you."

"Why mostly me?"

"Because I've been coming here for awhile. You're the new girl."

I'm dubious. "I guess."

My experiences with the FBI agent, and woman in the club in New York, and my dealings with organized crime have made me suspicious of anyone who looks at me twice.

Martina lowers her voice. "See the guy on the rowing machine? The one with the red t-shirt?"

I glance over, careful not to appear like I'm looking at him.

"Yeah? Is he suspicious?"

"No, Hadley, but he's definitely been checking you out, too." She pauses. "He's a CPA with one of those big accounting firms. I went out with him a few times a couple months ago, but it just kind of fizzled out. No zing."

I breathe a little easier. But I'm still careful. Like the old saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Martina looks me over. I'm wearing one of those cute, overpriced yoga outfits she encouraged me to buy when we did that first shopping trip together. And, admittedly, fit in perfectly with the crowd at the gym in the fancy condo building I was staying at before.

"You look hot," she tells me. "You know, maybe you ought to go out with one of these guys. I'm sure it won't take long for one of them to approach you. Once you take down that invisible force field you're been keeping between yourself and every guy who looks like he might be thinking about talking to you."

I pedal faster.

"It's too soon," I say.

"Suit yourself. But if Max didn't wait, why should you?"

It's something to think about. Maybe when the deal I've been working on for the art gallery is done. The problem right now is that every time I see him, I can't imagine being with anyone else.

"I know. It's hard," Martina says, and I realize with a start that I must have said that last part out loud.

After we finish our workout, we walk over to the juice bar and sit on stools at the long curved counter that encourages patrons to interact with each other.

"Do you think he did it on purpose?" Martina asks me.

"What? Who?"

"Max. Maybe he wanted you to see him with that woman. Maybe he thinks the breakup is easier if you hate him."

I shake my head. "No. He had no way of knowing I'd show up at his apartment."

She considers. "Yeah, but he insisted you come to the event at the gallery, right?"

I nod.

"So, if he didn't want you to know about her, it doesn't make sense that he invited her to the same event."

She has a point. But still. "I just don't see him being that devious. Why not just tell me he was seeing someone?"

"I'll see what I can find out from Gabe."