Chapter 13

Ten Years Earlier: 1995

"You're not someone I've ever understood, but I never thought I'd hate you as much as I do at this moment!" I yelled up at Aaron as we stood in my living room alone. "What is the big deal?"

"Oh, please. Don't play dumb!" I scoffed crossing my arms. "I'm not playing, I'm genuinely this dumb." He joked making my face harden.

At any other given moment I would've laughed or agreed with him but I was too hurt and furious too.

"I know what secret you've been keeping. Did you really think I wouldn't find out?"" I began making his eyes furrow. "What?" He breathed quickly with sudden seriousness.

"I heard what you and your friends were saying in the library. I'm surprised you even knew our school had one." I continued as he noticeably eased.

I've never before seen him willingly read a book if it wasn't for class. "What are you talking about?" He continued annoyed.

"You and your friends were with Todd. You were all talking about me with that guy who spread that nickname!" I pointed to his chest as he wore that obnoxious yellow and blue letterman's jacket. "Bitchy Bethany, really? He couldn't have come up with anything better." I scoffed.

"I thought I would have expected you to at very least stay away from him. I guess that's what I get for expecting you to do the decent thing." I huffed looking up at him.

"I expect everyone else at school who's insecure and popular to crack jokes at a friend's expense for a few laughs. I just didn't think that you of all people would." I said turning on my heel to get away from him. "Betty, I wasn't making jokes about you." He calmly followed after me.

"I heard you guys!" I continued out my front door. "I mean, yeah they were joking around but I didn't say anything! I didn't agree with them! I would never agree with them." Aaron defended as I continued to stay silent, speed walking to my car.

"Hey! Would you slow down? Who knew you were so fast? You should try out for track." Aaron effortlessly followed one step behind me.

"You laughed when they said I'm the captain of the debate team just as an excuse to argue with people!" I stopped at my driver's side door turning to him.

"And that all I care about is appearing smarter to other people! Do you really think I'm that shallow?" I asked, trying to ignore the ache in my chest at the thought of Aaron thinking so little of me. "Well, isn't it true?" Aaron smiled.

I scoffed in disbelief attempting to get inside the car before he shut my door, startling me. "Oh, come on, Betty. They were just teasing. Don't take it so seriously." He tried to calm me down.

"You all just judge me for being myself. This is me! I'm loud and proud and confrontational!" I flung my arms around. "And I don't see anything wrong with that. But you all see it as me being a bitch. But I don't care! I don't care how I'm perceived! Because I know who I am. It's not my fault that none of your... followers do. Copying and agreeing with what everyone else thinks. Changing their opinions to match others." I began as Aaron stood quietly letting me vent.

"If you don't care how you're perceived then why are you so upset with me?" Aaron asked calmly. His valid question caught me by surprise as I struggled to think of a quick answer.

"Because we are friends. And I would hope that you would defend me to others when I am unable to." I answered firmly as he stayed silent realizing I was right.

"You know, I look at you and see a nice, sweet guy. And then at school when you're around Alex and your other teammates it's like you're a completely different guy." I finished calmly opening my car door, making him slam it closed again as I jumped.