Chapter 1 - A New Captain in the Port

Naruzayn, Rahkurin

       The harbourside was busy with the fishermen bringing in their early morning catch, competing for space with long-distance traders in the primitive port in Naruzayn. It was an especially busy time of the year, with many foreign trade vessels making their way from colder shores. Simple, low-masted fishing vessels competed with bulky ocean-going travellers and sleeker  vessels from distant parts. The atmosphere was generally amiable, but without a doubt, it would not take much for the fragile mood to slip. There was a certain wariness as long-timers eyed the sleek trader that had come in earlier that morning.
        As far as ships went, it was fairly unconventional for the time. The ship had a deceptively fragile looking frame that lent an elegance lacking in her counterparts, though those who knew her would not doubt her ability to cut through the treacherous waters that separated Rahkurin from the greater trading nations.
        Her captain gained a lot of attention from where he stood on the pier beside her, but he appeared oblivious, occasionally turning to make a comment to his friend who stood by him. One could see by their posture that they had enjoyed a long acquaintance. The two men were a study in contrasts, the tall broad shouldered captain at least a head taller than his friend, even though he was not among the shorter people at the port.
        The taller had the golden features of the Bettrean, with a confidence that bespoke self-assurance of his place in the world. His friend, however, shared the more typical features of the Vesakan traders who frequented the ports, himself being a familiar face in these parts. His sharp eyes roamed around the port as he remarked to his friend, pointing out the various happenings in the port. The captain listened, mildly amused as he watched on.
        “They don’t know what to make of you, Alkaios,” his friend remarked. “They are not used to seeing any of your people this far south.”
        “And they wouldn’t, had it not been your many praises of this quaint stop. Though I can see why so few make this route, despite the shortened distance to the main port in Hangal.” The Captain said before his attention was caught by a ragged figure working his way through the crowd.
        The subject of his attention was a smiling young boy of the lower castes. His ill-fitting clothes had seen better days, although it was still borderline respectable. He was pushed and shoved by the crowd, and yet he never failed to smile and cheerfully greet as he went from vessel to vessel.
        The captain leaned forward, interested as the young boy was pushed into the ground by a well-dressed stranger. He bristled as a few of the passersby laughed, though he noticed some showed their disapproval. It was mostly traders and seafarers who appeared to be better acquainted with the young lad. There appeared to be some discrimination against him by everyone else, which bothered him.
        “What is going on with the boy, Hobe?” He nodded towards the scene.
        Hobe followed his gaze and let out a sad sound. “He’s an orphan, poor child. His father died when he was young, and there was a huge scandal when he and his mother had to move into the Tinakarun quarter. Though thankfulky they did not stay there for long, though I am not sure the current situation is Amy better.”
        “Tinakarun?”
        “That is the lowest caste in these parts, as you can see with how they treat him. Though his father was a fine fellow. Most of us old timers down here remember him from back when he used to trade with us. Too bad he is not still alive, he would have been mighty proud of his son.”
        “He does look like a fine lad. But shouldn’t he be in school?”
       Hobe made a disgusted grimace. “As I said, caste. And he cannot afford the time away. He’s been running errands since he could walk, helping his mother maintain a semblance of a household, hard as it is to find any willing to employ him. Same for his mother, though, for different reasons.”
        “He is quite young to be supporting his family this way.” Alkaios observed. His companion laughed.
        “Weren’t you off on your first ship not much older than he is? And look, now you are the captain of the ‘Euteleois’, the third finest ship in the seas.”
        “The third finest?” Alkaios asked, amused. Hobe pretended to be surprised.
        “Why, after the ‘Royal Envoy’, and my ‘Hikafeni’ of course.” They shared a chuckle before it faded into a pensive sort of silence. “He doesn’t have much luck, poor lad.”
          Alkaios looked ahead, his face darkening. “That is the way here, I suppose.” There was something in his voice. That one who knew him well would know meant he had something on his mind. His companion looked ahead, a bit uncomfortable before suddenly subconsciously smiling.
        “Ah, here he comes. I’ll introduce you.” Before his friend could say a thing, he raised a hand to catch the attention of the young boy who had been heading towards  the ‘Hikafeni’. He caught his eye before waving back, his infectious smile beaming across the distance, making even the strange captain feel affected despite being only in its periphery. He found himself smiling back at the young boy, who he saw was barely in his teens.
        At a closer glance, it was clear that his clothes were second-hand, worn, and ill-fitting, though it was clear that he took extraordinary care of them for his age. He came to a stop, respectfully but not obsequious, unwittingly earning the approval of the stranger. He turned to his companion before offering a list.
        “The morning's greetings, Captain Hobe. The mercer would like to know when you would next be able to bring the special fabric you brought last time.”
        Captain Hobe thoughtfully rubbed his beard. “Tell him it would be at least another week. I’ll be able to get it in the next run or see if someone else will be willing to do so in my stead.” The boy nodded and turned to go when he was called back. “Wait, Uravath. There is someone I’d like you to meet. This is my old friend, Captain Ektopos, of the Euteleois.”
        “Sir,” Uravath replied, bobbing his head, admiration for the ship before him clear in his eyes. Captain Alkaios Ektopos noted it as he leaned forward.
        “Do you like my ship?” Uravath nodded shyly. “How would you like to travel the world on it?”
        Captain Hobe startled at this, though he could not miss the wistfulness on the boy’s face.
        “I’m afraid I cannot, sir. At least, not yet.”
        “Well, if you ever find yourself able, my ship always has a berth for bright young lads like you.”
        “Thank you, sir,” he said, bobbing his head gratefully as he bid the two farewell as he went on his way.
        “That was needlessly cruel,” Captain Hobe said, disapprovingly.
        Alkaios looked at him quizzically. “How so?”
         Captain Hobe studied his friend. “You know he won’t be able to join your crew. He is Tinakarun.”
         His friend looked undaunted, shaking his head with a smile. “ We’ll be seeing him soon, mark my words.”
        Captain Hobe watched Uravath, wondering what his friend had seen in the young boy, and felt a strange hopeful feeling as the boy moved on beyond their gaze