Chapter 15

Less than an hour until Jennifer's party, and I'm still torn between two outfit options: a long blue skirt with a white, wide, long-sleeve top, or elephant pants paired with the same top.

Eventually, I choose the skirt, because it's giving off that extra Mamma Mia vibe I'm after. My hair is styled half up and half down, and I'm adding a small blue flower, matching my skirt's color, as the finishing touch. I give myself a final once-over in the mirror before rushing downstairs to let my parents know I'm leaving.

I slide into the car, bubbling with excitement for this party. Jennifer invited Alex and Lily, recalling how they hit it off at the fair some time ago. It's been ages since I last saw them, and I'm eager for the reunion.

The twenty-minute drive feels like an eternity, but as I arrive, it's like stepping into a fairy tale. The driveway stretches longer than my entire street, leading to a home that's more castle than house. A tower, entwined with ivy, stands proudly on the left, while grand oak doors beckon at the top of a staircase.

I didn't know Jennifer was this kind of rich. She never bragged about it, making me admire her even more.

Knocking on the door feels almost futile, so I push softly and swings open easily. Inside is even more awe-inspiring than the exterior. A grand hall greets me, with twin staircases spiraling in opposite directions, framing a majestic lustre.

I take a breath and look around, hoping to spot someone to tell me the way. Amazed by everything, I navigate toward the garden, expecting the party to be held there in the warm evening.

Passing through a door, I stumble upon a stunning kitchen, its dark oak complemented by white accents and rustic brick walls.

Moving through the kitchen into the living room, it's still light outside, and I'm captivated by the view of the garden. Stables and fields sprawl in the distance, but my gaze is drawn to a magnificent willow tree by a serene pond, complete with a charming fireplace nearby, making me imagine all the fun summer evenings, where they play music and eat marshmallows.

Closer to the house, I spot what seems like a swimming pool, only to realize it's a smaller pond, made by people, leading into a greenhouse. Rocks line the perimeter, and a gentle waterfall adds to the tranquility. Lost in my thoughts, I'm startled by a throat clearing behind me. I turn to find Jennifer, her smile brighter then I've ever seen it. She's wearing a light blue dress and her hair is curled and she's wearing it down, making it look like she's straight out of the movie.

"Snooping around, are you?" she chuckles, and I shake my head, smiling.

"No, I just got lost," I explain, gesturing to everything and nothing.

"Yeah, it's quite big here, isn't it?" Another chuckle escapes her as she surveys the surroundings, as if only just realizing.

"Big?! It's enormous," I remark before adding, "and absolutely beautiful! It's like stepping into a fairytale." I glance around again, unable to tear my gaze away from the enchanting scene.

"Well, princess," she says, and I look at her, slightly taken aback by the nickname. "The party is over here," she smiles, gesturing for me to follow her.

We walk back the way I came, leading us to the hall once again. She heads towards one of the doors on the left at the back, and I trail behind her, not wanting to lose her in this maze. Pushing the door open, I'm utterly astounded.

We step into a room that's more like a ballroom than anything else. It's a vast open space, with marble floors, pillars, and a high, open ceiling, making the room appear even larger and brighter than it already is.