0 3 • C A S T E

⁕ A r p a n a  P a t h a k ⁕

⁕ A r p a n a P a t h a k

J U L Y  2 0 2 2 ,

"Is LOVE even real in this world?

Isn't this the question we ask ourselves every night, staring at the ceiling when we're at our lowest, facing situations we never imagined? I remember my mother used to say that love is like the air, unseen but deeply felt.

But what if that air, filling our lungs, begins to suffocate us? it tightens around us and strangles us until our soul slips away from our body, watching us die - mentally, socially, and finally, physically.

When Joshi confided in me that things were going worse between her and Vikrant, I was in disbelief. They had always appeared to be the epitome of a perfect couple to me - no quarrels, no arguments. Their high school romance had given me hope that I, too, might one day find my soulmate, just like them.

I knew Vikrant's family never approved of Joshi. They disliked the idea of their son marrying someone from a different caste, especially someone who wasn't wealthy enough to bring a substantial dowry worth at least a million.

Being involved in politics, his parents had grand ambitions for his marriage. They sought a girl who could bring substantial wealth, political influence, and most importantly, the 'right caste' connections to bolster their alliances with other political factions.

Joshi didn't fit their criteria at all. She lacked the vast fortune, political influence, and worst of all, the right CASTE.

Ah, caste is a cornerstone of Indian politics, second only to religion. It's astounding how people pledge to die or kill in its namesake. It is the bedrock of our country's political landscape, without which it will surely crumble. Because what's politics without a good old-fashioned caste divide to keep things interesting? right?

Vikrant had a resolute personality. Once he set his heart on something, nothing could sway him. He had always been independent-minded and didn't pay much heed to his parents' opinions in the past. Joshi, too had learned to overlook their family's unkind remarks because she knew if he was with her, nothing else mattered at all.

CASTE, POWER, MONEY!

Moreover, despite initial reservations due to his social standing, the Joshi family had never stood against them. They were supportive and focused on their daughter's happiness above all else. Despite being a middle-class family, they were progressive thinkers who believed in giving their children freedom. They understood that with time, adjustments were inevitable.

Which was a different case from my family. Papa didn't oppose relationships, but he insisted that whoever I dated must be a gentleman-which he was. He always prioritized my happiness and well-being. On the other hand, Maa would always go against it. She often told me stories of innocent girls falling prey to deceptive "bad boys" with charming facades. Her advice was always to prioritize studies. Perhaps this shaped my introverted nature and the small circle of friends I kept, barely enough to count on one hand.