Prologue

The air was heavy with tension as Inès Bernard looked down at the phone in her trembling  hands. The soft glow of the screen illuminated her pale face, revealing traces of recent tears in her blue eyes.

She took a deep breath, a deep breath, trying to calm the tremors that ran through her body. It wasn't easy, not after what had happened. Lucas's harsh words still echoed in her mind, cutting like sharp knives.

"You're nothing without me, Inès. Nothing!"

His voice resonated in her head, mixing with memories of every punch, every scream, every moment of terror she had endured. But this time would be different. This time, Inès wasn't willing to succumb to fear, not anymore.

With firm determination, she typed the familiar number and waited, each ring of the phone sounding like an echo of her own racing heart. When the sleepy voice of her mother answered from the other end of the line, Inès swallowed hard and found courage to speak.

"I'm going to Monaco," she said, her voice trembling with the emotion she was trying to contain. "I'll be spending the summer there."

There was a brief moment of silence on the other end before her mother responded, confused and surprised. "To Monaco? Why all of a sudden? What's going on, dear?"

Inès swallowed hard, struggling against the tears that threatened to spill over. She knew she couldn't tell the truth, she couldn't admit what was happening with Lucas. Not when her parents still saw him as the perfect boyfriend, the ideal son-in-law.

"I just wanted to soak up the sun before starting the internship at the firm," she replied, her voice choked with emotion. "And also, I need some time for myself."

There was another moment of silence on the other end before her mother finally spoke again, her voice sounding tense. "You're not trying to dodge work at the firm, are you?"

Inès took a deep breath, trying to keep calm. "No, Mom, of course not," she replied quickly. "I just need some time to recharge before starting. By the end of the summer, I'll be ready to work with you, I promise."

There was a sigh from the other end of the line, and then her mother spoke, her voice softening slightly. "Alright, dear. Go to Monaco but don't forget your responsibilities. And call us if you need anything, alright?"

Inès agreed, feeling a weight lift off her shoulders. "Alright, Mom. Thank you."With a sigh of relief, Inès hung up the phone, feeling a little lighter despite the heaviness in her heart. She knew she couldn't run forever, that eventually she would have to face her fears and confront the truth about Lucas. But for now, Monaco was the refuge she needed, a place where she could feel safe, even if only for a moment.

With renewed determination, Inès began to pack her bags, preparing for a new journey, a new chance to start over. She didn't know what the future held, but one thing was certain: she was determined to find the peace and security she longed for, even if it meant leaving behind everything she knew and loved.