Chapter 6 - Burning Rubber and Virtual Races

[Lex's Pov]

I returned to my hotel room, the echoes of the party still ringing in my ears as I sank onto the bed, my mind buzzing with adrenaline. I knew I should sleep now, but I didn't feel tired. My thoughts seemed to be all over the place and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fall asleep.

I glanced at the clock on my phone, the digits mocking me as they read half past midnight. Groaning softly, I buried my face in the pillow. Tomorrow was a big day - FP1 and FP2 in Melbourne – I knew that everyone would be watching.

The thought of all eyes on me sent a shiver down my spine, my breath catching in my throat. I could feel the panic rising inside of me. If today had been nerve-wracking, tomorrow would be a hundred times worse. The pressure was suffocating, crushing me beneath its weight as I struggled to calm the racing of my heart.

I knew I was on the verge of being sick, my stomach feeling queasy. I fought to get my thoughts under control. Everything was going to be fine. I deserved to be here. I had fought lots and lots of drivers to get a shot in F1. And while all of this was true, it did little to calm my trembling. Only my phone dinging startled me and interrupted my thoughts long enough, so I could take a deep breath. I reached for it and opened my messaging app – it was Max.

I fell into a restless slumber shortly after Max's last message

I fell into a restless slumber shortly after Max's last message. His words had managed to distract and soothe me and my frazzled nerves. By the time I woke up, the sun was already streaming through the curtains, casting a warm glow on my bed. Determined I rose from the bed and set about preparing for the day ahead.

A refreshing shower washed away the remnants of sleep, and I dressed quickly, wanting to get out the door as quickly as possible. As I finished applying my mascara, a knock at the door drew my attention, and I opened it to find Daniel waiting for me, a steaming cup of coffee in hand.

"Are you ready?" he asked, his smile infectious.

"Oh yes, I'm excited," I replied, a surge of adrenaline coursing through me.

Together, we made our way to the lounge, where the rest of the team awaited us. Mekies greeted me with a reassuring smile, waving me over to him.

"Good morning Lexie," he said, his voice calm and steady. "Your car is waiting in the garage, I just wanted you to have a moment to focus and calm down before we start racing today. The media is going to be all over you tonight with their questions, but right now I want you to think about nothing else than the practice. Alright?"

I nodded, grateful that I didn't have to do any interviews before I started racing.

"Good," he continued. "Go get suited up. You and Daniel get to take the car out as soon as practice starts."

I grinned and headed to the dressing room. That was exactly what I wanted to hear. Today marked the beginning of a new chapter in my racing career, and I was ready to seize the opportunity with both hands.