Chapter 3. Papagalino (part 1)

"Where are the birds?" I asked my new friend.

"They're already harnessed, and we'll be flying off soon," she replied.

"But this is just a carriage," I said, surprised.

The flute behind my back vibrated, producing strange sounds.

"What is that?" she asked in astonishment, then unexpectedly fell silent.

Those were her last words as an arrow appeared in her chest in a split second. Everything happened so unexpectedly and horrifyingly that I didn't even have time to be scared.

Someone burst into the carriage, a figure dressed in black. My heart raced, and fear gripped me as I stared at the intruder.

The first thing that came to hand was my darn flute. I swung it as much as the cramped carriage allowed, hitting the masked figure on the head. The blow wasn't as strong as I thought it was, considering I wasn't really into sports or anything, and I wasn't particularly strong. But unexpectedly for me, it sent him flying back as if I'd hit a home run. I screamed, unable to handle what was happening.

Someone else in similar black attire tried to force their way into the carriage, but they were met with a blow from above. It was Papagalino. I think someone else tried to attack from the other side where there was a window, but seeing the flute, they hesitated for some reason.

"Touching!" Papagalino yelled. His voice no longer resembled that of a refined butler from an English detective movie; instead, it sounded more like that of a bandit with a parrot's voice. The carriage vibrated, and I felt a strange sensation as if I were in a fast elevator.

One look out the window made my head spin. "Don't fall, dummy!" Papagalino shouted at me and pulled me towards him like I was a damsel in distress, but I pushed him away. He managed to jump inside, and now who knows who's controlling the birds!? Parrots? Parrot-horses?!!

My heart pounded in my chest, and my breaths came in short, shallow gasps. Sweat beaded on my forehead, and my hands trembled uncontrollably. Every noise seemed magnified, and my vision blurred with fear as adrenaline surged through my veins.

"Darn," muttered Papagalino, irritatedly eyeing the girl. It didn't seem like her death bothered him much. He appeared more annoyed, even angered. He looked at me. I sank into the soft seat, clutching the flute tightly in my hands. "Where did you get that?" he asked, astonished, pointing at the flute.

I tightened my grip on the flute; if he dared to touch me, I would smash his head with it, I didn't care!!!

"Quiet down! I'm not going to touch you. If you don't want to talk, it's all the same to me where you got it from."

"Who were those people who killed Rosso?" I finally squeezed out.

"Sarastro's people, who else would want to harm the Queen and kill one of her future concubines."

~~~

More chapters on my personal Patreon page

New updates:

The cover belongs to ©treepipit

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of the publisher.
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved
© treepipit 2019-2024