Epilogue Jungle Cat: Milo and Maisie

Song: "If You Can Dream" - Ashley Gearing

Maisie Claire had always loved to read (Romantasy, especially) but had never pictured herself as an author until now. She scrolled through the DCP photos on her phone, explored writing tips online, and sipped the black roast coffee Feya had delivered earlier.

Milo and Luna played in their kennel, passing toys back and forth and tugging on their strings. While Luna was getting bigger, she still had a ways to go before catching up with Milo. He loved that son of a nutcracker and did everything to protect her, just like Matthew.

Maisie's grief counselor suggested that she write about her sorrows and adventures. It started with letters to Matthew, but now Maisie had a novelette and was crafting a DCP novel. Although writing was exhausting, she was okay if she had Feya, Isla, and the animals.

Stumped, Maisie propped up her head. She flipped through a Tessa Bailey book for inspiration, studied her writing style, and heard a knock on her door.

"Knock, knock." Feya entered with Daisy at her heel and handed Maisie another cup of coffee. "How's it going, little miss writer?" She sat on the bed and squeezed Maisie's shoulder, kissing her cheek.

"I can't come up with a damn title," Maisie complained, "but here's the next chapter of our memoir." She slid the computer to Feya, who picked it up.

"Oh, wow," she admitted, clicking the mouse. "You're a gifted writer, May. Way better than me."

Maisie shrugged. "It's more I read a lot."

"I only have one suggestion." Feya lifted a finger and, with her free hand, stole the Tessa Bailey book. She flipped through it.

"What?" Maisie cuddled close and examined the screen with Feya.

"Don't try so hard to write like other writers," Feya elucidated, returning the laptop. "Write what you want and in your style. Romance may be hot now, but did J.K. Rowling become famous after writing one? No. Did Tolkien become famous because he wrote a Romance? No. This is your book, May, and writing style. One day, people will appreciate it."

"Did you watch that One Man's Dream show in Hollywood the other day?" Maisie questioned.

"I did, and if Walt could live his dream, so can we... including Isla." Feya ran her fingers through Maisie's curly hair and began braiding it. "You know I love you, May. We'll find our path and story during our DCPs. Our pets will ensure it."

"Pets. Perfect! That's what I'll call the book!" Maisie furiously typed on her computer and blew a strand of hair from her face.

"Pets?" It appeared like Feya was holding a laugh.

"No, silly," Maisie joked, pressing enter. She checked on Milo and Luna and waved at Daisy. "I'm calling it Milo. Milo and Maisie."

Final Word Count: 18,000