Meet Bridge

-:¥:-Dakota-:¥:-

I waved at Kennedy and turned to the familiar door in front me.

I used my key to get into Ash's house. His parents were never home and he was always either in his room or out by his courts so he never opened the door. As soon as I stepped in, I felt wave of nostalgia hit me. I doubled over, clutching my stomach. The Aces were great; they were friendly and welcoming, but they weren't home. I missed being home, hanging out with Ash and our friends. I missed binge watching old shows and fighting over who's fault it was that the popcorn was burnt. 

Looking around the foyer and into the living room, I could see every part of the house, every piece of furniture Ash and I had touched. The aged and cracking couches that his mother wouldn't get rid of because they were in the family since the Ice Ages, the large paintings covering every wall, the expensive vases that were constantly replaced because Ash and I broke so many while wrestling. I wiped a tear from my eye as I entered the kitchen. I could see the splashes of sauce on the walls from when Ash exploded a can of spaghetti sauce; it had taken us all day to clean the kitchen. 

I sighed as I ran my hand across the sparkling island counter, thinking about the countless mornings I woke up and sat at the stool waiting as Ash made me breakfast. 

It was strange that we had so many memories, so many opportunities, yet, I never felt anything romantic towards. I felt slightly guilty, as if I had been unknowingly leading him on.

"Ash?" I called. I didn't hear the TV on upstairs or any music, so I kept going until I reached the dining room which was also empty. There were no memories in the dining room; because we were so clumsy, it was off limits to us. No exceptions. Holidays were spent at the island counter for us while everyone else sat at the big table. 

Expensive art and glass cases decorated the dining room. There were antiques and extremely old artifacts that Ash's father collected. Though he was gone, nobody bothered to get rid of them. I was actually glad we were banned from the room; I didn't want to be responsible for breaking anything irreplaceable. 

I went through the back door through the laundry room. I could hear the thumping of a basketball nearby, but when I got to the basketball court, it wasn't Ash playing. It was Bridge. 

Another wave of nostalgia hit me as I watched him bounce the ball, preparing to make a half court shot. He missed; he always did, but he never quit trying.

Bridge got his nickname because he always made a way to the other side of the field for the other players, like an actual bridge. 

Nobody actually remembered his real name and he refused to tell anyone. His face lit up when he saw me. He grinned. "Man, D! It's been so dull around here without you!" He enveloped me in a bear hug. I laughed. "When are you coming back?"

He tightened his arms around me and I felt my lungs giving out. Bridge was huge; he had dirty blond hair, huge arms, and a model worthy smile with small dimples.

I shook my head. "I don't know. Soon hopefully. I hate New York." I complained.

Bridge smirked at me. "Ash tells me you're living with a bunch of guys." He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

I chose to ignore that and nodded, grimacing. "So where is he anyways?" I asked.

Bridge made a sour face. "I've never seen him drink so much." He muttered, pointing to the shed. "He started getting rough with me when I tried to stop him, so I just left him to himself."

My eyes widened in horror at his words, causing him to also look at me in dismay. "Bad move?" He asked, as he looked towards the shed.

I furrowed my eyebrows and headed in that direction cautiously.