Chapter 4 | Unexpected Encounter

She's gone. I'll never see her again. She treated me like her own blood and she's gone just like that.

"Well, that's a shame." I got up. It's sad, but no use dwelling over it now when I still have a lot on my plate. It is what it is.

I wonder if this immediate apathy is a form of numbness, or my old character coming back to fruition. Reminds me of the time Riko Amanai died.

I didn't want that honestly. I wanted to stay as I am. The strange lack of empathy I have now is bothering me.

Remembering how I was as Satoru Gojo, who disregarded everyone close to me and lived as some apathetic scumbag, really stirs up a complicated feeling inside me.

My mind recalled the four months with Sylvia as I made my way without a direction in mind. I didn't know what kind of expression I was making, nor if I was even making one, but I continued walking anyways.

The place I was dropped to was still a forest, but Sylvia mentioned that while the portal will not drop me off of human settlement, it will bring me close to one.

Ahem. Testing, testing.

It was then that a sense of déjà vu struck me. A voice creeping into my head in an intrusive manner. I always find it offensive, but right now, it only brings a smile of nostalgia to my face.

I know what it was. I didn't get my hopes up. I just continued walking, for this was nothing more than a parting message. Sylvia is gone.

This is Sylvia. If you're listening to this right now, it means I have shown you what I actually am.

I jumped through trees, climbed hills, and leaped over rivers. I continued on relentlessly without taking a rest to either nap or eat.

As frustrating as it may seem, you're nowhere ready for the whole truth. You have exceptional magical abilities, but you are barely four years old. You're very strong, indeed, but not strong enough.

That reminded me. I wonder if Sylvia knew of the Six Eyes and the Esther. She saw how I was plucking up fruits telekinetically without mana and did not question it, so I assumed she kind of respected my privacy but I wonder if that was the case.

Aside from the fact that I am quadra-elemental and I am at the light orange stage, Sylvia did not know of anything else in my arsenal.

I wonder if she would have made a different choice if she knew... I thought to myself. I was merely delusional at this point, I know, but it's hard not to be.

As a small parting gift, I have infused my unique will onto you. Your future development as a sorcerer will depend on how you're able to use my gift.

Oh? Those runes that appeared on my arm? I read about it briefly, but I wonder if this unique will she speaks of is akin to beast wills.

I can imagine how you're feeling right now, Art. Sorrow, guilt, anger. But I believe in you. I know you are strong, and that you will move on sooner or later. You possess incredible willpower, and that is one of your strongest traits. Remember you have a family to go back to, and a purpose to fulfill in this life.

I'm getting emotional here, Sylvia. Well, at least I'm not crying anymore but it feels nice to hear her voice once again. It's reassuring in so many ways.

My only wish for you is to embrace the innocence and joys of childhood, and become a man which both your parents and I can be proud of. You will hear from me once again when your mana core is past the white stage. Until then, I bid you farewell once again, Satoru Gojo.