Chapter 10: Closing In

Detective Lila Thompson's apartment felt smaller than usual. The blinds were tightly drawn, and the locks were double-checked, but the warning texts she had received made her feel like the walls were closing in. She knew she couldn't stay in hiding forever. The threats meant that someone was scared, and scared people made mistakes.

Lila left her apartment early in the morning, taking a different route to the police station. 

She was cautious, watching for anyone who might be following her

She was cautious, watching for anyone who might be following her. As she entered the station, she met Officer Ben Price in the hallway. His expression was serious, his eyes scanning the corridor.

"Morning, Lila," he said. "Any updates since last night?"

"Just more threats," Lila replied, her tone tight. "They're getting more direct."

Ben nodded. "That means we're onto something. We just have to be careful."

Lila agreed, but she knew that staying cautious wasn't enough. They needed to make progress in the investigation before the threats escalated. She had already gathered enough evidence to suggest that Mayor Harriet Dawson was hiding something, but she needed concrete proof to confront her directly.

Lila and Ben decided to divide their tasks. Lila would focus on interviewing people connected to the mayor, while Ben would investigate the financial irregularities mentioned in the fragment of the missing folder. They hoped to find a link between the mayor's inner circle and the murder of Mr. Raymond Barrett.

Lila's first stop was to speak with a former employee of City Hall, someone who had worked closely with Mayor Harriet Dawson but had recently resigned. The meeting took place at a small café on the outskirts of town, away from prying eyes. The employee, a woman in her early forties named Sarah, seemed nervous but willing to talk.

"Why did you leave your job?" Lila asked, keeping her voice low and friendly.

"It was the mayor," Sarah replied, glancing around to ensure no one was listening. "She had her own agenda, and if you didn't play along, you were out. I couldn't take it anymore."

"Do you know anything about the financial scandal at Eldenwood High School?" Lila inquired.

Sarah nodded. "I've heard rumors. The mayor was involved, but she kept everything off the books. If Barrett had evidence, it would explain why she wanted him gone."

Lila took notes, realizing that the conspiracy was deeper than she had thought. Sarah's testimony was crucial, suggesting that Harriet Dawson was indeed covering up her role in the scandal. Lila knew she needed more, but this was a step in the right direction.

Back at the station, Ben had made progress on his end. He had found a trail of financial transactions that linked Marcus Greene to a company that had ties to the mayor. 

It was a clear connection, suggesting that Marcus was involved in helping Harriet conceal the scandal