4. A Friend

Clara Waverley sets out early on the day she-- or Victor for all-- has to begin her lectures at Oxford. She does so on purpose, since seeing Christopher Fanshawe's face early in the morning would undoubtedly sour her mood. She shuts the door behind her and slowly walks across the landing and down the stairs, ensuring that she makes no noise lest Mr. Fanshawe wake up and ask her to wait. That he might attend lectures sounds implausible to Clara to say the least; his first impressions gave no sign of him being the scholastic kind, and hence, added another reason to Clara's mental list of reasons to not befriend him. Just as she reaches the bottom of the stairs, she finds Christopher entering through the door. The top buttons of his shirt are undone, his tie missing, and his hair unkempt. He gives her a warm smile upon spotting her, but Clara knows better. He is traying to prove himself an inevitable rake, and thereby trying to prod the person he thinks to be Victor to be one of his kind as well. Victor might have fallen straight into the trap, but Clara shall not. She briefly touches her hat and departs, leaving Mr. Fanshawe intrigued and disappointed.

Clara stops at the gate of Oxford in order to admire the majesty of the educational institute. She congratulates herself for being at a place where it would have been otherwise impossible. Just as she is about to enter, she hears Victor's name being called out. She freezes in her spot, and only allows her neck to turn and catch a glimpse of the voice. The voice belongs to none other than Wilhelm Schmidt, the heir to the printing press and book shop. Clara assumes he is the heir, for she has no other information to derive an alternate conclusion. Wilhelm appears to suit the role too. He reaches her, panting. They begin walking towards the buildings.

"How are you doing, Waverley? Did the airs of Oxford tire you out? I did not see you around after that day.", Wilhelm states, his cheeks getting flushed due to his run towards Clara.

"The air did get me. The countryside air is rather pure and good. I had to confine myself to my room at the inn. I, however, read all the books I bought that day.", Clara says, beaming with an apparent pride on her accomplishment.

"You make for a rather curious reader then, Waverley. I shall have to give you thicker books next time."

"Does not imply I'll take longer to read them." They walk together in silence. "What do you study here?"

"Languages."

"Languages?"

"There is much to be read, much to be known. Most boys are asked to master Greek and Latin. I had to master it too. When I did, I realized that there were texts yet to be translated correctly. I found some errors here and there."

"So, do you wish to translate them again?"

"I am not interested in classical literature to begin with. Our generation has a numerous writers spread across countries and languages. I'll bring them to English."

"That's a lot of work.", Clara says. Deep within, she knows that she would have enjoyed doing it. However, her return to Crestwood would be an impediment to all her ambitions. She sighs.

"What's the matter Waverley?", Wilhelm asks, nudging her.

"Nothing. I too wish I had a life of equal freedom."

"You do, Waverley. You are a man."

Clara smiles sadly. "A man. Yes."

"We might have been in a precarious situation if we were women. Allowed to do nothing that pleases us. No intellectual pursuits. No freedom to manage one's own wealth.", Wilhelm states. He sighs and looks at Clara. "Should you think we might be able to make the world a better place for women?"

"Shouldn't we all try?"

"While we all must, not everyone is willing to. Fear plagues men."

"Why do you think men fear women?"