42

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you?"

Ryan turned to me after shutting the trunk of his car. "I'm positive."

I tilted my head. "You don't have to go back to school, you know. You could stay here forever with me."

He laughed softly. "Says the girl who already graduated."

I stepped closer. "I could do all your work for you, you know."

He shook his head. "I need to do this. It's been three months since..." He sighed. "I just need a little normal."

"Yeah, well, I warned you not to come home with me."

He nodded, "You always know best. I should've listened."

I smiled. "Well, now you know."

He stared at me for a few minutes. "Will you be okay?"

I didn't nod or shake my head. I didn't want to answer. "I'll let you know."

He stepped closer and hugged me. "I'll see you at the wedding."

I hugged him tighter. "Only nine months."

"It'll fly by." He pulled back. He moved his hand to the side of my face. He leaned forward and kissed my forehead gently. He pulled back and smiled. "I love you."

I smiled, "I love you too."

He walked to the driver's seat, and I took a few steps back. I stood there and watched him drive away. I didn't cry. I haven't cried for two months. Not since he left. I've made myself go numb so I don't have to feel that he's not here.

I turned and walked back into the empty house. I spent the rest of the day watching TV until it was time to sleep.

My ringing phone on my nightstand pulled me out of my sleep. I reached for it and held it against the side of my face after answering it.

"You woke me up."

"Caroline's having the babies, and she needs you."

I hurried out of bed. "She's not due for another month." I pulled on my jeans before rushing down the steps. "What happened?"

"The babies. They're siphoning the magic out of her. Valerie and Bonnie have to cut them out."

I didn't bother locking the front door. "Are you at the hospital?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Have they started?"

"Yeah, they had to put her under anesthesia," Stefan sighed. "She wanted to wait for you, but they're killing her."

I drove as fast as I could. "She'll be okay. Bonnie will not let her die. Have you called Jo and Ric?"

"Yeah. They're on their way."

I could hear the worry in his voice. "Stefan, take a deep breath, okay? Caroline won't leave you. She wouldn't do that to you."

"Right." He didn't talk for a minute.

"I'm hanging up now. I'll be there in a minute."

"Okay."

I hung up and put my phone in the cupholder. I drove the rest of the way and then grabbed my phone as I got out. I walked into the hospital, making my way to the elevator.

...

"Are you coming?"

I looked up from the book on my lap. I stared at Caroline's red dress for a minute, then looked at her face. "No." It's been four months since she had the babies, and she looks better than she did before she was pregnant.